confusion regarding "Open with application" and divx

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marty88, Aug 10, 2010.

1. marty88 macrumors newbie

Hey! I'm pretty new to mac, my macbook is a Mac OS X version 10.6.4.
    It has been suggested to me to download some stuff like "divx" (I followed the link on the Apple site). The download was successful-but I can't install it. I dragged it to the application section of Finder. I tried to open it and it gave me a list of "preferred applications" to open divx with. The choices didn't relate at all-so I picked one at random (itunes) since I couldn't open it otherwise. Now whenever I click on divx, itunes pops up. I know that I have the option of changing which application I want to use to open divx with..but I still end up in the same boat. The same issue has come up with other stuff I've downloaded. What application (if at all) should I use to open divx with? I'm not the greatest with computer stuff and the answer is probably ridiculously easy, but I'd appreciate any help.
    Thanks!!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Can you provide a link to that "divx" download?
    Divx is the name of a video codec and the name of the software associated with, thus the "open with" scenario seems kind of strange.

[​IMG]
    above applications downloaded from www.divx.com

Also have a look at the following links (if you haven't already), as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

3. marty88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying! The link is: http://www.divx.com/en/software/mac

The excerpt you posted show divx as a folder icon with a drop-down. The divx in my applications folder is simply a picture of divx (that may be because I have yet to install it). When I click on it, itunes pops up. When I right click the divx icon, it allows me the option to "open with: itunes (default)" or it allows me the option to pick another application to open it with, except divx. I'm not too sure which application (if any) I need to open it.

I will definitely check out those links-Thank you!!

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

What is the exact name of the file you downloaded? Is it "DivXInstaller.dmg", "DivX for Mac", or something else?

5. marty88 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

OK, it should open with "Installer", which should be the default. That's somehow become unset, so here's how to fix it:

1. Right-click the file and go to Get Info.
    2. In the "Open with" section, choose Installer.
    3. Click "Change All" to fix the default association.

That should fix it and any other package files (you said in your first post that you've had problems with other downloads so this should fix them too).

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

EDIT: Follow Nermal's instructions, mine are just for information gathering purposes, Nermal's likely solve the problem.

How big is it and what does Get Info say about it?

8. marty88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey! I followed the steps, but when I click on the "open with" section in the get info, I didn't see "Installer". My only choice is "itunes (default)" and "other..." I clicked on "other" and again I got a bunch of their "preferred applications" but no Installer. How do I change itunes as a default? Ugh-what did I do lol.
    It's size is 32.8 MB.
    Thanks!

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hmm. Looks like we're going to have to browse to it. Choose "Other" from the list so that the full application list appears. On the left, pick your hard drive then navigate through System > Library > CoreServices > Installer. You should also select "Always Open With".

10. marty88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yikes, the Installer is not under core services. The closest thing to it is "Install Helper". Is it possible to get Installer from somewhere else?

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

So your Installer is actually missing? :eek: That explains a lot...

I have no idea how to recover from that, other than reinstalling the OS. There's a tool called Pacifist that may do the trick but I can't help you with it.

12. marty88 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol well thanks for your help!! I'll try to find out-if not I guess I'll just post a new thread. :)

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

14. marty88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Have now got installer! All is right with the world..for now:) Thanks for the link spinnerlys