Confusion regarding Wordpress Blogging

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Tylers86, May 16, 2011.

1. Tylers86 macrumors newbie

So I am setting up my website, it is mainly used for providing info on using photoshop, after effects and other programs for media creation.

I have successfully created the navigational system, main nav bar, drop downs, etc. using the "Menus" module of the WP dashboard.

However, I am now struggling with wether I should be adding new posts, categories, pages, or my Theme's custom taxonomy for creating content for the blogs.

Heres what I want to do: I want to have categorized blogs for each individual program (Photoshop, After Effects, etc.). When navigating through the main nav bar, hovering the mouse over "Learning Sessions" will drop down "Photoshop", "After Effects", "Premiere" etc. each as their own item. So, to acheive this I created new categories from within the "Posts" module in the dashboard.

I am able to add new posts and select which categories I want them to apply to, but, when you click on say "Photoshop" from the navigation bar under "Sessions" it brings you to the "Category Archives: Photoshop". Im not trying to lead people to the archives, I just want people to see the latest blog posts for that particular program.

Can anyone make any suggestions on how to acheive this, I know it just has to do with creating the right items, ie posts? categories? taxonomies?

Heres my website.

http://www.kalistomedia.com

2. SailorTom macrumors regular

The category archives show exactly what you want, i.e the latest posts about that piece of software.

Am I right in thinking you just don't want it to say 'category archives', and what the same presentation for the blog?

To do this you need to change the category template in your theme to reflect the design you want. This might be some tweaks to the CSS, or some major work on the PHP depending on what you want done. You could try renaming the category template in your theme for starters, in which case WordPress will use the template in index.php. Maybe that's what you want.

Although quite a few people here use WordPress, you'll reach a wider audience if you post over at wordpress.org forums.

3. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

To get the appropriate navigation, you need to set up a page called Learning Sessions, then other pages for each category. Make those category pages have the Sessions page as their parent (use the drop down menu on the right side on the 'Edit Page' page.