Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bailiff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Ok, first I'm not a techy! I want an Ipad to help with my work

I am a bailiff here in the UK & need to stay intouch with my office so I am thinking of buying an Ipad. I have a number of questions that I hope someone can explain to me & tell me where I can buy anything that would be required for use here in England.

1) I do not want to pay for an additional contract to use the Internet or to send & receive emails. So, is there any way of connecting my iPhone to the ipad as I have unlimited access to Internet with my O2 iPhone contract. How,where & what would I need?

2) My office uses PC's only, I need to use word, spreadsheets etc and fill in PDF type forms. What programme would I need to buy or does ipad come with it?

3) can I plug my iphone 32gb 3G straight in to ipad?

4) can you import files & store them on the ipad? Or do I need to send them to myself via an email?

5) Ipad or laptop? Love my iPhone, converted 4 friends to them, best phone of this type on the market. Ipad great or waste of time? Would a laptop do all the above & more with less hassle?

Hope you guys & girls can help a non techy guy who would love to just carry 1 thing does all rather than lots of paperwork, chargers, satnav, phones & costly contracts.

Thanks
Bailiff:confused:

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

1. Yes if you jailbreak your iPhone

2. Filling in forms in a PDF could be s problem.

3. No

4. Yes

5. Sounds like you would be better off with a laptop.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

1. Yes if you jailbreak your iPhone

2. Filling in forms in a PDF could be s problem.

3. No

4. Yes

5. Sounds like you would be better off with a laptop.

Yeah...get a MacBook Pro 13". You will like it.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000

I am a bailiff here in the UK & need to stay intouch with my office so I am thinking of buying an Ipad. I have a number of questions that I hope someone can explain to me & tell me where I can buy anything that would be required for use here in England.

1) I do not want to pay for an additional contract to use the Internet or to send & receive emails. So, is there any way of connecting my iPhone to the ipad as I have unlimited access to Internet with my O2 iPhone contract. How,where & what would I need?

2) My office uses PC's only, I need to use word, spreadsheets etc and fill in PDF type forms. What programme would I need to buy or does ipad come with it?

4) can you import files & store them on the ipad? Or do I need to send them to myself via an email?

5) Ipad or laptop? Love my iPhone, converted 4 friends to them, best phone of this type on the market. Ipad great or waste of time? Would a laptop do all the above & more with less hassle?

Hope you guys & girls can help a non techy guy who would love to just carry 1 thing does all rather than lots of paperwork, chargers, satnav, phones & costly contracts.

Thanks

Forget the jailbreaking. That is sooooo US..... If you have a Nokia phone laying around, go to http://www.joikuspot.com, spend €9 and install the app on your Nokia. From there, it will create a wifi hotspot that you can use to connect your iPad to. I used this method until my 3G iPad arrived.

Battlestar

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2010
Boston

Thanks

It is called "tethering" and many phones now natively support it.

Bailiff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Thanks to everyone

Thanks to everyones help, I do have a couple more questions!

What is jailbreak?

Does it work in the UK?

How/where can I get it done? Will it naff my iPhone up?

I was going to get the 64gb wifi & 3G so would this cure my connection problems if I am in a remote / countryside area?

Finally, if you are in the UK where is the cheapest place to buy my ipad or will they all be the same price?

Thanks again to everyone who takes the time to help.
Rgds Bailiff

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
If you don't know what Jailbreaking is, you sure as hell don't want to attempt it.

Buy an 3G iPad and a 3G SIM. End of.

Bailiff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Update from bailiff

Ok, been reading through a lot of threads, think I'm a little wiser.

Apparently ipad doesn't need to be jailbreak performed on it as it is not locked.

I could apparently cut my iPhone 3G sim down to the micro size and then buy a carrier so it slots back nicely in my iPhone. I think I would get bored of changing it over all the time, especially if I need to make a call whilst emailing.

So if I am right I could buy a dongle 3G with x amount of data use without a monthly plan. I assume I would have to dissmantle the dongle & cut down the sim to size?

This seems a better idea as i can be on the phone & ipad at the same time and I only pay for what i have used.

I think Apple is taking the pee by forcing customers hands to have to purchase a monthly contract to use your ipad. Come on Apple you are fab at what you do and we love your products for this reason but why be gready? Don't design greAt product & then put a BIG BUT ISSUE if you buy one. We shouldn't have to find ways of getting around your crap, help us & we would all be loyal to your products.

Any help as always welcomed.
Rgds Bailiff

Bailiff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Why help a bailiff?

Why the bloody hell is everyone offering to help a bailiff?

Why help a bailiff you ask! I will tell you why because if you don't, the next time you don't pay someone I will take the job and charge you double with my charges! Oh and I Do have ways of finding even you because that's whAt we do!

So, what piece of useful advice was you going to give me! Regarding my question obviously. :)

Sushi Dude

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2009
For what you need I recommend a laptop. And what is your definition of PC? If you mean any computer then get a MacBook. If you mean not a Mac get laptop and put Linux on it. If you mean Windows only, I fill sorry for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.