Confussion about Iphone 4, 4.2.1 Jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Ezkemo, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Ezkemo macrumors newbie

Hi I was just wondering if somebody could clear something up for me. I've been researching the 4.2.1 jailbreak for iphone 4 and I haven't been able to find out if it requires me to unlock the phone or will I keep my AT&T service? I remember I once jailbroke an Iphone 3G I had a while ago and that required and unlock too, even on AT&T. So I'm just wondering if I need such a thing before I go through with my jailbreak. Thanks.

2. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

First, an unlock should never cause you to lose your carrier service, as far as I know.

Second, it should be the other way around - all the unlocks I've heard of require you jailbreak first.

Anyway - unless you've your SHSH's saved for a version prior to 4.2.1, all you have is a tethered jailbreak via redsn0w at the moment.

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

Go there, download the appropriate version for your OS, and run it to start saving hashes if you have not already.

There is work on an untethered jailbreak called greenp0sin at the moment.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

i'm 4.2.1 on AT&T jailbroken not unlock currently so yes you can stay with AT&T. again if people read stickies at the top of this section they know this stuff. ;) and jailbreaks are never forced in some cases they are merely selected. Even if you are unlocked you can still keep your current carrier.