Congrats

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Skibba, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Skibba macrumors member

Congrats to the guy who just grabbed the 2012 2.3 quad from UK refurb store for £479.

I had the thing in my basket and was dicking about trying to find the company VAT number so I could get it even cheaper and when I processed the payment it told me my basket was empty!!!!!

I'll now go write a script to automatically populate all fields on the Apple purchase page so I can be sure to get it next time :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That happened to my on the iPhone 6 plus,. It took longer for me to pull the information together and by the time I hit the button it disappeared.

I don't think you need a script, but at least have your info handy for when they do appear.

Good luck

3. babooshka1982 macrumors newbie

Yeah, sorry about that, it was me... I set up an alert on refurb.me for any refurb Mac mini under £500 and it pinged through by text and email. I was actually looking for a 2012 i5, but jumped on the quad i7 at that price. I also ordered through quidco, so I'll get 2% cash back on the purchase too.

I'm new to the apple osx infrastructure, but have an iPhone 5c and iPad Air, so decided to take the plunge and move my whole business over to apple. I'm an architect and acquired a (legit) copy of autocad 2013 for mac from an old colleague who is going back to Microsoft due to increased 3d demands. I only do 2D CAD so a mini will be more than adequate for me, autocad seems to be a single thread application, so the quad core might be a tad more than I need.

I had been considering the mid level 2014 model too, the iris graphics would likely have been handy, but ultimately the user upgradability on the 2012 won out. I've got 8gb of Samsung RAM from an my old laptop which I'll stick into this and may also put in a 250gb Samsung 840 Evo SSD, that was destined for my laptop too.

Set up an alert on refurb.me, it worked for me, I'm sure more will pop up on there... Failing that I'll sell you mine for £700? :D

4. Skibba thread starter macrumors member

I got the alert, I just faffed around trying to find the company VAT number so you were quicker than me.

Enjoy :)

I'll give the £700 offer a miss as there will be more *crosses fingers*

5. babooshka1982 macrumors newbie

I was kidding about the £700 offer, wouldn't let it go for less than £800 ;)

6. Skibba thread starter macrumors member

You're more expensive than eBay!!!

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I use my Apple ID when checking out at Apple.com (I assume you can do the same in Europe). That populates everything for me and lets me charge it to the card that is already setup for my Apple ID. I bought a Refurb in about 30 seconds (while in a work meeting no less) about 2 weeks ago....

8. Skibba thread starter macrumors member

9. babooshka1982 macrumors newbie

What was the original list price on these? Selling now at £479, with £90 off, which would make it £569. I though these were £649, with the base i5 £499? Does the £569 price perhaps refer to the current middle 2.6ghz i5 model?

10. marclondon macrumors regular

Looks like they have a few as I've just bagged one too - £399 (bought it for my business so get VAT back). It's got to be worth that.

M.

11. babooshka1982 macrumors newbie

Good to see that others are grabbing these deals too... Wonder if this will be the last of them?

12. marclondon, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014

marclondon macrumors regular

I was going to buy one of the new ones but I just fancy a quad core and at that price it's a no brainer. I don't agree that the new ones are rubbish - the PCI SSD, Iris Pro and better processors will prove worthwhile I reckon. But I would have bought the top end version at about £830 +VAT and I just don't want to spend that much yet.

M.