Congratulations Apple!!!!!

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
784
0
This is actually rather big news. At the close of the markets today, Apple now has a bigger market cap than Dell!!!! Remember a few years ago when Michael Dell said that if he was in charge of Apple he would fold the company and give all the shares back to the investors? Who's laughing now.

Dell Market Cap: 71.97B
Apple Market Cap: 72.13B
 

iGary

Guest
May 26, 2004
19,583
0
Randy's House
derajfast said:
This is actually rather big news. At the close of the markets today, Apple now has a bigger market cap than Dell!!!! Remember a few years ago when Michael Dell said that if he was in charge of Apple he would fold the company and give all the shares back to the investors? Who's laughing now.

Dell Market Cap: 71.97B
Apple Market Cap: 72.13B
It's getting scary, really.

I mean the iPod will not last forever. It simply can't, unless they really stay on top oft things.
 

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
4,265
76
Haha loving it! Now just have to wait a few years for them to have a bigger marketshare too ;)


iGary said:
It's getting scary, really.

I mean the iPod will not last forever. It simply can't, unless they really stay on top oft things.
Obviously, the iPod is an important part of Apple's success, but Mac sales are also the best they've ever been.
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
I just crapped in my pants, a little bit.™
Here's to the Crazy Ones
 

MBHockey

macrumors 68040
Oct 4, 2003
3,927
161
New York
Yeah Mac sales were up 27% over last year (thanks iPod)...hopefully the trend will continue as people realize what they don't have to put up with
 

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
2,384
0
VA
iGary said:
It's getting scary, really.

I mean the iPod will not last forever. It simply can't, unless they really stay on top oft things.
If anybody can do it, it's Apple. BTW, I like the new Stevotar. :)
 

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
3,054
0
What's Your Favorite Posish
was fwded this


On October 6, 1997, in response to the question of what he'd do if he was in charge of Apple Computer, Dell founder and then CEO Michael Dell stood before a crowd of several thousand IT executives and answered flippantly, "What would I do? I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders."

A little more than a month later, on November 10, 1997, new Apple iCEO Steve Jobs responded, speaking in front of an image of Michael Dell's bulls-eye covered face, "We're coming after you, you're in our sights."

Today, after a little more than eight years of hard work, Apple Computer, Inc. passed Dell, Inc. in market value. That's right, at market close Apple Computer ($72,132,428,843) is now worth more than Dell ($71,970,702,760). Got any snappy responses for that one, Mr. Dell?

Luckily, Apple has had the right man in charge since July 1997; a man with the vision and the ability to do what lesser men think impossible.


awesome
 

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
3,255
117
Nowheresville
Way to go Apple! Dell should fold its *** up and leave. Otherwise it should team up with Apple and wipe Microsoft out of the OS game. BTW what if Apple gets a monopoly, are they going to charge Apple? Or will they just call it even with Micro$oft? I mean yeah Apple's not to the top yet, but I'm guessing in about 10 or 15 years they will be (if not less).
 

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
4,321
297
This is just awesome! My step dad always told me "Apple is going to go down the drain...". I just showed him this. He was speechless trying to come up with a comeback.

Btw, he told me this when I was using my Quadra 630!


:D
 

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
16,722
1,027
blaskillet4 said:
The iPod is only in about 8% of US homes... ;)
Well let's see...there are approximately 100 million homes in the US, so 8 million homes have purchased 42 million iPods. That means that the average home has about 5 iPods.

I've got two in my house, so somebody else has eight.
 

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
1,104
0
NYC
WildCowboy said:
Well let's see...there are approximately 100 million homes in the US, so 8 million homes have purchased 42 million iPods. That means that the average home has about 5 iPods.

I've got two in my house, so somebody else has eight.
Let's see, we have 2 minis, 2 20GB monochrome clickwheel ipods, 2 ipod nanos, and 6 macs (imac with 8.6 (doesnt work any more), imac with swivel neck, imac g5, powerbook 1.5 GHz 15", TiBook, ibook. anything else apple, airport and airport express.

EDIT: That's the immediate family not me alone.
 

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
1,469
1
Bay Area
iSaint said:
That's, like, an irrelevant piece of data.
1) Its not irrelevant. There's still 92% of U.S. homes without an iPod. An iPod being Apple's hottest product... And single biggest factor for Apple's staggering growth recently.
First, that's a lot of homes.
2) I didn't say it wasn't a lot of homes.
Second, give me some worldwide data.
3) Get your own worldwide data.
Oh, wait, you're saying it's going to grow from that!? My bad... :rolleyes:
4) Yes, there seems to be potential for growth.
Plus, in many homes there are several iPods. Like mine!
5) So?
 

iSaint

macrumors 603
blaskillet4 said:
1) Its not irrelevant. There's still 92% of U.S. homes without an iPod. An iPod being Apple's hottest product... And single biggest factor for Apple's staggering growth recently.

2) I didn't say it wasn't a lot of homes.

3) Get your own worldwide data.

4) Yes, there seems to be potential for growth.

5) So?
I was saying I misunderstood your post in the middle of making my response and apologized for doing so. I agree there's still potential for growth. And in the 8% of US homes with iPods, there are multiple iPod owners and that makes for a lot of iPods. So I'm agreeing with you...take a chill pill! :D ;) :D

What'd the keynote say? Something like 25 million iPods sold last quarter? I can't remember, guess I'll have to watch it again!
 

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
1,469
1
Bay Area
iSaint said:
I was saying I misunderstood your post in the middle of making my response and apologized for doing so. I agree there's still potential for growth. And in the 8% of US homes with iPods, there are multiple iPod owners and that makes for a lot of iPods. So I'm agreeing with you...take a chill pill! :D ;) :D

What'd the keynote say? Something like 25 million iPods sold last quarter? I can't remember, guess I'll have to watch it again!

Oh, a misunderstanding... Didn't catch that :eek:

Oh, wait, you're saying it's going to grow from that!? My bad...:rolleyes:
... I think it was the ":rolleyes:" that made me think you were being sarcastic [see sig.]

take a chill pill! :D ;)
I was cool all along :cool: :D
 

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
2,881
0
iGary said:
It's getting scary, really.

I mean the iPod will not last forever. It simply can't, unless they really stay on top oft things.
Yeah..but hopefully they will stay on top of things with the didgital life...iLife etc just gettting better and better :cool:
 

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
1,856
0
NG9, England
WildCowboy said:
Well let's see...there are approximately 100 million homes in the US, so 8 million homes have purchased 42 million iPods. That means that the average home has about 5 iPods.

I've got two in my house, so somebody else has eight.
42 million sold worldwide. I don't know the exact figures for the US, but assuming anything up to half of that, some homes will have more than one, but others just a single iPod. Making a wild assumption, let's say 15 million Americans own an iPod, that's still a lot that don't and many that won't.

The iPod will eventually get overtaken by SmartPhones and other multi-function devices and that's where Apple need to be heading. They already have made inroads with the publicity surrounding the Video features on the 5G models. Now bring back a Newton based device and/or Apple branded phone and keep market share of music players. Mac sales are also picking up and this could be a massive year for Mac sales.

As long as they don't rest on their laurels, Apple have a bright future ahead, for now.