Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

snarkies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Hey,

I was doing nothing when all of sudden this message came up on my screen. How on earth is this possible? I attached the message I got bellow.

The thing I can't understand is who and how did manage to show this message. Does it mean my phone is hacked or something? How could they interact with the OS of my iPhone?

Has anyone seen this kind of stuff?

Attachments

• IMG_3389.png
    IMG_3389.png
    140 KB · Views: 461

snarkies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
How does Apple allow this sort of stuff? It's really confusing to get this type of message on my iphone screen..

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They had to program the flash SMS feature though, right? Why don't they just take it out and the software will either ignore those SMS or convert them to normal texts?
Because they are a particular standard that they are supporting.

Comment

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
They had to program the flash SMS feature though, right? Why don't they just take it out and the software will either ignore those SMS or convert them to normal texts?

I don't want Apple making those kinds of decisions for me. And I don't want to listen to "iPhones can't do flash SMS!"

Comment

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
Toggle in phone settings?

You are missing the point. Flash SMS are part of the SMS standard. For apple to say their phones support SMS (it would be pretty sad if they didn't), they have to support Flash SMS. It is not their fault O2 screwed up and allows anyone to send a flash SMS with a simple prefix

Comment

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
You are missing the point. Flash SMS are part of the SMS standard. For apple to say their phones support SMS (it would be pretty sad if they didn't), they have to support Flash SMS. It is not their fault O2 screwed up and allows anyone to send a flash SMS with a simple prefix

The OP's picture shows that the carrier is LMT though. I thought O2 fixed the issue. That article is really old.

Wouldn't a toggle be sufficient? It technically would support it. The difference is the user can choose to use flash SMS or not, just like they can choose to use a subject field or not.

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Who's going to complain about that? Near as I can tell the only thing they're used for is spam.

Someone out there is going to miss that?
Abused for spam perhaps, while it seems in its design it's there for more important reasons (even if it might rarely be used for them).

Comment

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Who's going to complain about that? Near as I can tell the only thing they're used for is spam.

Someone out there is going to miss that?

The carrier that the OP is using sends Flash SMS to inform customers of various things including their balance.

They're an essential part of the GSM spec.

Comment

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
The carrier that the OP is using sends Flash SMS to inform customers of various things including their balance.

They're an essential part of the GSM spec.

I hope the carrier fixes the issue then. The average person shouldn't be able to send them.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.