Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I just recently returned my iPhone 4 to Rogers Wireless and they sent me a refurb unit. I've never seen this message "congratulations your iphone has been unlocked" before....I've restored a lot in the past too.

Does this absolutely mean I just got lucky and they sent me a factory unlocked iPhone? I didn't purchase an unlocked unit on release day back in late July so I'd be super surprised if they actually sent me a factory unlocked unit.

Can someone confirm for sure either way? Is there something in the model number or imei I can check to confirm if this is in fact a factory unlocked model??

Thanks in advance and happy Easter everyone!

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
winnerwinner128557268681487667.jpg

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Either that or someone unlocking out there transposed a couple didgets in their number and got your number by accident.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
WOW so you guys really think that I just got lucky eh? Well I hope that's the case! Just wish I could find out for sure some how...All my friends and fam seem to be on the same network, which is Rogers.

Now way to tell from the serial/imei # eh? Looked online and couldn't find anything 100% for sure, some people say you can, some people say those numbers have no bearing on whether it's unlocked or not.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
WOW so you guys really think that I just got lucky eh? Well I hope that's the case! Just wish I could find out for sure some how...All my friends and fam seem to be on the same network, which is Rogers.

Now way to tell from the serial/imei # eh? Looked online and couldn't find anything 100% for sure, some people say you can, some people say those numbers have no bearing on whether it's unlocked or not.

Do any GSM carriers provide prepaid simcards in Canada? If so just buy one of those and see if it works

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Get a Telus prepaid (HSPA iPhone 4 microSIM) card and test that out if you want ($30, ask to waive the activation charge).

Your unlock should be fine though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.