Conidering a switch from MP --> MBP (Maya Modelling) - need to be more mobile.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fluidedge, Sep 21, 2009.

1. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Hi

I'm well out of the loop with mac laptops these days and wondered if anyone has done what i'm considering. I'm a 3D artist working primarily with Maya and modo but I use windows (my plugins are all for windows 64 bit and maya for mac is a train wreck of an app anyway ;) )

So i'm using windows 80% of the time but i still need os x for shake and final cut.

I have a mp at the moment but am finding myself tethered to the desk all the time and feel i need to be more mobile.

Now the one problem is rendering power. I have moved into modelling more and away from simulation and rendering recently so I don't really need the raw power a MP gives me to crunch numbers; I'd only miss it when I need to actually render my work.

I'm wondering if selling the MP is a mistake, but at the moment being young and free ( ;) ) I feel i need to be a bit more mobile. Has anyone made the same decision recently and regretted it or are happy with it?

2. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Do you think you will get what its worth? I'd bet you will miss it when you need it. When you do render, you will soon think to yourself - if all my cores were going on my MacPro, this would be done in 30 minutes, but now its going to take 3 hours. :mad:

I tried to do this by going from an iMac to a MacBook, and did not like it.

With all that said - what the hell do I know.

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...how much power do you have access to (what model MP)?

That would give us a better idea if a current MBP would suit your needs...

4. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

sorry i should have been more clear!

Mac Pro (Jan 2008)
    2.8GHz Single Quad Core chip
    2GB RAM
    ATI 2600
    Airport Card
    320GB Drive (and others but i have an external raid drive for those)

(basically the base spec with an Airport card thrown in)

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I wouldn't, you'll miss the power if you sell it... the current MBP's are too much of a step backwards from what you have until a major notebook architecture change comes about first...

6. jdechko macrumors 68040

I'm assuming that you need the funds from the sale of the MP to buy the MBP?

Otherwise, why not try to pick up a cheap UMBP off of craigslist or go with a refurbished model?

7. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

im looking to sell the MP to fund the MBP. I reckon i could swap my MP for a 15" 2.66GHz model.