Conjecture thread: Why 3Gb/s ODD connection? Empty SATA III port?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by idea_hamster, Feb 28, 2011.

1. idea_hamster, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

So it's become clear that the SuperDrive in the 2011 MBP is connected to a SATA II port, leaving one of the two SATA III ports empty and effectively crippling the design from supporting a SATA III SSD in the ODD bay.

This strikes me as bizarrely irrational, since SATA III is backwards compatible, meaning that there would be no problem connecting the ODD to that port.

Did they really do this just to stymie the OptiBay people from running an aftermarket SATA III SSD in the ODD bay? Did they do it in the hopes that we would buy a new machine at some later date? Or is it a function of Apple's infuriatingly patronizing attitude that assumes that we don't need a SATA III connection or a second hard drive or an upgrade path or, really, anything that didn't come off their drawing board?

Can someone -- anyone -- please propose a rational basis for this?

Somebody talk me down off the ledge, here, folks! :mad:

Edit: Thanks to recent MacRumors addition johnsock for finally clearing up just what connection the ODD is on.

2. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

My guess? That little SATA connector that can simply disconnect from the ODD may not support 6Gbps speeds. It's not has hefty as the one to the main drive. I've removed the ODD optibay several times. It's purely a small little connector that can be removed from both ends, not much bigger than a guitar pick. Maybe Apple never bothered to upgrade that piece to run 6Gbps rather than the old standard of 3Gbps. My guess!

3. idea_hamster, Feb 28, 2011

idea_hamster thread starter macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

I'm confident that you're right, in part because the SuperDrive cannot saturate SATA II. So if the designers are the kind of jerks^H^H^H^H^H people who think that no one will ever do anything with their MBPs other than use them as they configured them, then this is fine.

But (unless I'm hugely mistaken -- and I encourage people to disabuse me of any misconceptions) since SATA III is backwards compatible, they should have been able to connect it to the SATA III port and have it run, as always, at SATA I speeds.

Perhaps this is Steve's way of making sure we don't add a BluRay drive? I'm grasping at straws here -- these explanations all sound so vapid.

4. bwrairen macrumors 6502

This is really bothering me as well. They are both listed in system profiler as series 6 chipsets, so why is it not capable of 6gb/s? Did Apple really intentionally slow port 1 down?

5. idea_hamster, Feb 28, 2011

idea_hamster thread starter macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

If only it were so good -- were that the case, they could have fixed this with a firmware update.

They didn't even use a SATA III port. The SuperDrive is on port 2.

6. idea_hamster thread starter macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Do we think that this could somehow be related to a heat issue? This was mentioned elsewhere.

Perhaps Apple thought that there would be an overheating problem if we added a second hard drive in with the new higher-wattage quad-core system?

I don't buy it....

7. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure it's Apple's way of stymieing the whole OptiBay thing.

The heat shouldn't matter since one can put an SSD in there and if otherwise, we would be voiding our own warranties. Perhaps it has something to do with cost as well? The SuperDrive is SATA 2, so they'll probably just stick with a SATA 2 port.

8. idea_hamster thread starter macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Right? It's starting to seem like this...

I didn't think the heat idea made much sense either -- I was just trying to brainstorm some kind of non-malicious rationale for this decision. :(

Well, the cost would only be in designing the connection to the logic board, because SATA III is backward compatible. And something tells me that all that cost savings did not get passed on to the buyer! :rolleyes: