Connect 2 or 3 monitors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GMaister22, Oct 27, 2011.

1. GMaister22 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

i have a MacBook Pro 17" 2010 model with the i7 CPU and I'm building up a home studio for music production, I was wondering how i could hook up 2 or 3 DVI or HDMI monitors on my MacBook Pro :)

any ideas?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You can connect one through the mini DisplayPort, but the others will have to be through usb adapters, which generally provide poor performance.

3. GMaister22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh duhh :(

there should be a way to achieve this :S

4. jaymul macrumors newbie

It is possible using apple thunderbolt displays and daisy chaining them together however this is an expensive method

5. stordoff macrumors regular

And would require a Thunderbolt port. IIRC, the 2010 MacBook Pros don't have one.

6. DeadPixel217 macrumors member

I use 2 external monitors with my MacBook Pro. I use my thunderbolt to connect my main large monitor (Minidisplay to DVI) and use a Diamond USB to DVI adapter to power a slightly smaller 21" display at 1980x1080. My USB powered monitor is great for emails, spotify, itunes, twitter anything that doesn't require constant pixel change. Anything that uses more than.. 30% of the pixels and you'll notice a definite drop in frame rate. Worsening the more pixels you use.

A good example of this is YouTube. If its not maximised it runs fine but make it bigger and you will notice the frame rate drop. Aside from this its great. Perfect for an FTP client and your static apps :)