Connect 2 TB peripherals to MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tlongacre, Dec 16, 2013.

1. tlongacre macrumors newbie

Hello,

At the moment, I need to connect via Ethernet to my work network. Also, I would like to connect an external display to my MacBook Air (I'm in Finance and Excel would be so much easier to work with on a bigger screen).

Problem -- I have the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter and the Thunderbolt to VGA adapter and only one Thunderbolt port to share. There must be a way to do this -- some kind of hub or splitter or something like you can do with USB devices? I read somewhere that you should "daisy chain" Thunderbolt devices, but that won't work as neither of these adapters has TB out plug.

2. Bear macrumors G3

You choices are:
    • An Apple Thunderbolt Display which has an ethernet port.
    • A Thunderbolt hub which has an ethernet port and 2 Thunderbolt ports so you can attach a display adapter as well.
    • A Thunderbolt hub with ethernet and hdmi connectors.

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

Another, probably cheaper, solution would be to get a USB to Ethernet adapter. I'm assuming you don't need high networks speeds, so that would free up your TB port to be used for display.

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

There will never be a splitter/thunderbolt hub. That isn't how Thunderbolt is designed. As already stated, the cheapest option would be to go with a USB to Ethernet dongle and as long as you have a 2012 or 2013 AIR you will still get gigabit Ethernet. If you are unlucky and have the 2011 as I did, then your best bet is to go with something like the Cal Digit Thunderbolt Station. That will give you Ethernet and USB 3.0 as well as HDMI or a second Thunderbolt port for the VGA adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/CalDigit-Thun...7314547&sr=8-7&keywords=Cal+digit+thunderbolt