Connect 2014 iMac to PC HardDrive...?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Danesgate, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Danesgate macrumors newbie

Hi

This week I bought a 2014 iMac, and want to connect it to the hard drive removed from my old PC - I am looking to get access to Excel files and ideally emails stored on there.

I have not yet purchased any Windows for Mac software, so what am I going to need in order to access the hard drive?
    The drive is accessible via a USB cable, but the iMac isn't recognising it yet...?

Thanks!

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You've removed the PC hard drive (HDD) and trying to connect it with a USB cable? But how exactly? Did you put the HDD in an external case? Or do you have some sort of SATA to USB adapter? How are you connecting the two?

An iMac should recognize and read from the PC HDD just fine, but it will not write to the drive (if it is NTFS format).

3. Danesgate thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

When we took the Dell tower into the store, they removed it and put it in a case with USB connector - I have been using that, connected to a Dell laptop for a few weeks before buying the Mac.

Ideally I now want to access the old emails and excel files -

Thanks!

Phil

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Ok, so the drive is in an external case. Cool.

So you've plugged it in and it didn't show up on the iMac desktop? That's a little strange. How old was the Dell tower you got rid of? That may give a clue as to why it isn't being recognized.

Though I have to say if you're interested in saving the emails and excel files then I would have to think that those files do not take up a dramatic amount of space. Could you just use a USB thumb drive to copy your files from your Dell and plug the thumb drive into the iMac? This is sort of side stepping the "iMac not recognizing your hard drive" issue. But doesn't take much time.

5. Danesgate thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi
    The dell was 10+ years old.
    Thanks - I will give that a go - I am 100% technical luddite!!

Cheers

Phil

6. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

And just FYI, the iMac you bought is a technically a "late 2013" model. There are no iMacs designated "2014" yet.

However, there's seemingly no reason why the Mac shouldn't recognize a PC hard drive (FAT or NTSF) plugged in to it via USB, presuming the drive works on other machines. If it's NTSF, the Mac won't be able to write to it, but it'll read files just fine.

7. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

correct but there are some methods and apps to help you write on NTFS drive.