Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Hey guys and gals,

I have a client with a just received Mac Pro. To the computer, we'd like to connect three non-4K monitors. The monitors in question are actually two Sony televisions and one Samsung TV.

At our discretion, we have the ability to connect one via HDMI but what is the best way to connect the other two monitors? I know previously, there were issues with connecting 3 displays via mini-display port.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

sebseb

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2014
Here's an explanation on the apple website:

Mac Pro supports a total of two singe-link DVI displays. If you connect a third DVI display using a passive adapter or a display via HDMI, it will cause one of the three displays to become inactive.

So their solution is:

Mac Pro supports a total of two DVI or HDMI displays when connected via the built-in HDMI port or using the Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter. To connect additional DVI displays, use an active DVI adapter such as the Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter. You can connect up to six active adapter DVI displays. This requires a powered USB hub since Mac Pro offers four USB ports and you will need six to connect them all.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Here's an explanation on the apple website:

Mac Pro supports a total of two singe-link DVI displays. If you connect a third DVI display using a passive adapter or a display via HDMI, it will cause one of the three displays to become inactive.

So their solution is:

Mac Pro supports a total of two DVI or HDMI displays when connected via the built-in HDMI port or using the Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter. To connect additional DVI displays, use an active DVI adapter such as the Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter. You can connect up to six active adapter DVI displays. This requires a powered USB hub since Mac Pro offers four USB ports and you will need six to connect them all.

Thanks for the info so far. So to clarify, is it possible for me to use the following combination:

1x HDMI
1x Mini Displayport to HDMI
1x Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter

Or do I have to do

1x HDMI
2x Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter

Or do I automatically have to do:

3x Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter

sebseb

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2014
Thanks for the info so far. So to clarify, is it possible for me to use the following combination:

1x HDMI
1x Mini Displayport to HDMI
1x Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter

Or do I have to do

1x HDMI
2x Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter

Or do I automatically have to do:

3x Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter

I'm sure that 3X Dual Link will work as it states that u can do 6. Now I'm not sure about this but I think the other 2 options you mentioned should work as well. I would check with Apple Online chat, they are really helpful and they usually ask an engineer if they don't know the answer.

But remember there are 2 DVI adaptors on apple's website, one which is really simple, just a mDP to DVI. Then they have this version that has a long cable and it has a usb and mini display port. I think with one adaptor you're good to go, since u can connect up to 2 HDMI displays without any issue. And it's the third that needs this adaptor!

Sorry If I couldn't be much of help, I don't own a nMP, and if I did, I couldn't afford 3 displays!

fredr500

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
I have a Mac Pro 5,1 with the ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card.

I connected a 27" dual link DVI display to the DVI connector, works great.

Connected a 19" VGA to a mini displayport-VGA adapter (or maybe it was this one, not sure), works great.

Connected another 19" VGA the same way and it doesn't work. Unplugged the first VGA and the second came up, but could not get 3 to work at the same time.

How can I get all 3 to work?

sebseb

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2014
I have a Mac Pro 5,1 with the ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card.

I connected a 27" dual link DVI display to the DVI connector, works great.

Connected a 19" VGA to a mini displayport-VGA adapter (or maybe it was this one, not sure), works great.

Connected another 19" VGA the same way and it doesn't work. Unplugged the first VGA and the second came up, but could not get 3 to work at the same time.

How can I get all 3 to work?

That is weird, that should work, since you need 2 active adaptors which you already have. mDP to VGA is considered active...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.