Connect a gaming PC via Display port?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by byron_hinson, Aug 28, 2010.

1. byron_hinson macrumors 6502

I'm wondering about trying to connect up a self built gaming PC with a GTX 295 in it to the display port on the iMac Mid-2010 machine. I know the Display port on these accepts input and I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this all?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What outputs does your GTX 295 have? If it doesn't have (Mini) DisplayPort, you need an 150$ adapter so you could just sell it and buy a new GPU with DisplayPort

3. byron_hinson thread starter macrumors 6502

Thought that is all I need for a DVI connection? Or have I misunderstood completely!

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB570Z/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY#overview

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That works when connecting a device with mDP output to device with DVI input, but not vice versa. To connect DVI device to mDP monitor, you need this to get full resolution.

5. byron_hinson thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahhh ok thanks - makes sense. I'll wait before I build a new one in a year or so then and get a card with Displayport output on it like the new ATI ones. The i7 2010 iMac's are still pretty damn good for gaming anyway, just hard when you come from a 295 with such high frame rates! Damn the wife wanting me to have one machine±!!!!!!

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Post now moot due to the above post, as it was written, while I wrote mine.

Just to clarify, only the 27" model can be used in Target Display Mode.