Connect a Mac and a PC?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stevento, May 24, 2009.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

I have a desktop PC and a MacBook connected to the same wireless router. How Can I connect the two for file sharing?
    I know this is possible.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the mac should pick up the pc no problem

there are steps though to have the pc see the mac however. i dont know them off the top of my head though:(

3. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

If the PC picks up the mac or vise versa, where do I find it?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

File Sharing has to be enabled on Mac OS X under System Preferences > Sharing and then the volume/drive/folder of your choice, and under Windows, the folder/drive has to be enabled via the properties window.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also there are a lot of guides available on the world wide wet. Just use a search engine of your choice.

EDIT: how to find the shared computers

PS: In Mac OS X, in Finder under Shared in the Sidebar. In Windows (XP) under Explorer > My Network Places > Your Network.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if you have your Shared Documents folder on your PC configured for sharing your PC should just show up in Finder under Shared in Finder. how to share a folder in Windows http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/FileSharing/Windows/facstaffxp.html.

to share your Mac to a PC enable File Sharing in Sharing Preferences and in the Options enable SMB sharing. then your Mac should show up in your PC's workgroup in Network Places.

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Remember your password will be able to be cracked in a fraction of a second if you enable SMB sharing.