Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
When I'm in the middle of a call, I take an airpod out of the case and put it in my ear but my iPhone doesn't recognize it or switch to it. Any tips? Thanks.

Reactions: BrianSoCal

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
When I'm in the middle of a call, I take an airpod out of the case and put it in my ear but my iPhone doesn't recognize it or switch to it. Any tips? Thanks.
Just wait. I find it can sometimes take 5-10 seconds for the audio to switch while in a call. So I'll keep the phone to my left ear so I can still hear the call while I wait for my right AirPod to connect.

You can also go to the "Audio" menu in a call and switch manually, but I find it simpler just to wait it out.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I would switch manually but it doesn't show in the audio list, only speakerphone...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I Disagree with Arran. It shouldn't take anything over 10 seconds to connect. Mine connect almost instantaneous. That said, It depends on your Bluetooth range also. I would manually re-pair the Airpods, which should rectify the issue. Otherwise, disable Bluetooth on your iPhone and re-enable. It should clear any issues.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007

Have you checked to see if automatic ear detection is turned on? Take AirPods out of case, go to bluetooth setting in iPhone, tap on AirPods and check to see if option is turned on.

Reactions: Arran

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Have you checked to see if automatic ear detection is turned on? Take AirPods out of case, go to bluetooth setting in iPhone, tap on AirPods and check to see if option is turned on.
Good catch. I hadn't even thought of that. I always keep it turned on.

I was kind-of wondering though - why would anyone want to turn it off. I find it very useful.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

It's on by default, is it not? You would Manually have to disable it.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
Wouldn't you want to turn that off if you want to just use one airpod at a time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.