Connect Airpods during call?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by legaleye3000, Feb 11, 2017.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

When I'm in the middle of a call, I take an airpod out of the case and put it in my ear but my iPhone doesn't recognize it or switch to it. Any tips? Thanks.

2. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Just wait. I find it can sometimes take 5-10 seconds for the audio to switch while in a call. So I'll keep the phone to my left ear so I can still hear the call while I wait for my right AirPod to connect.

You can also go to the "Audio" menu in a call and switch manually, but I find it simpler just to wait it out.

3. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

I would switch manually but it doesn't show in the audio list, only speakerphone...

4. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Got it. I had that weeks ago. How about going in to bluetooth and unpairing then re-pairing? I think that might have fixed it for me.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I Disagree with Arran. It shouldn't take anything over 10 seconds to connect. Mine connect almost instantaneous. That said, It depends on your Bluetooth range also. I would manually re-pair the Airpods, which should rectify the issue. Otherwise, disable Bluetooth on your iPhone and re-enable. It should clear any issues.

6. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Have you checked to see if automatic ear detection is turned on? Take AirPods out of case, go to bluetooth setting in iPhone, tap on AirPods and check to see if option is turned on.

7. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Good catch. I hadn't even thought of that. I always keep it turned on.

I was kind-of wondering though - why would anyone want to turn it off. I find it very useful.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

It's on by default, is it not? You would Manually have to disable it.

9. thekb macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't you want to turn that off if you want to just use one airpod at a time?

10. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

No. I have it on, but I mostly use just one AirPod at time (conf. calls)