Connect Airport Express to Time Capsule to create another network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sandman42, Jul 3, 2010.

1. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I have a Time Capsule providing a wireless network in my home. I would like use my Airport Express to create an additional network, and have it get its internet from one of the wired ethernet ports on the TC. Can you daisy chain them like that? I tried it and so far I haven't been able to get it to work.

Hopefully that makes sense. I'm not trying to set up a WDS with the TC and the Express, I'm trying to plug the Express into one of the ethernet connections on the TC so the Express can share that internet connection as a new, separate network (like what you would do if you had the Express in a hotel room, etc).

I have the Express set up to create a network, and my computer can connect to it, but the internet's not available for some reason. Should I expect this to be able to work?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

put it in "off (bridge mode)" in connection sharing on the internet page. and set it up to create a wireless network.

devices connected to the new network will be able to talk to devices on the old network.

This is how i do it,
    linksys router serving G
    wired ethernet to express serving N

depending on which flavor my device has is which network i connect to, My laptop is on the N, i can control iTunes on it using remote from my iphone connected to the G, Music is stored on a server hooked to the wired network, and I can use airTunes on another express just connected to the G network.