Connect an iMac and mac mini through firewire and airport?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by isthisonetaken, Nov 22, 2007.

1. isthisonetaken macrumors regular

Hi all,

I have a 24" iMac aluminum running 10.5.1 and a mac mini running 10.5.1.

I have a free firewire 800 on the iMac and a free firewire 400 on the mini.

I know I can buy a 800-400 cable, so this is what I want to do. Connect the 2 computers, and be able to share files between the 2 and do screen sharing over the firewire, but still access the internet/ network on both, through their airport cards.

Is this possible? If so, how would I go about doing it?

Also, would it be possible to network the two macs together though bluetooth? but still get internet through the airport cards? Would bluetooth be faster than airport for transferring video files?

Thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Erm, it's easier just to use a standard ethernet cable to network the two. Screen sharing will be a bit difficult without a third party app though... As for Bluetooth, Airport will be faster.

3. isthisonetaken thread starter macrumors regular

So if I just plug a regular ethernet cable into the 2 macs, I can then share files between them over the ethernet, and leave the network and internet through the airport cards? I should also say, when I tried using firewire 400 between the 2 macs, it still wanted to send the files over the airport. How do I remedy that, so when they are connected over ethernet, it knows to send files through ethernet, but go on the internet, through the wireless?

4. releasethechick macrumors newbie

Using Mini mac and imac

I have just come from the apple store and they told me I cannot use the imac as a mini mac monitor. Not the 21 inch but the 27 inch...

Although it may be right, I want to do just that connect the two and just switch from one to the other.. Why cannot do that like any other?

Can anyone help?

5. RedElectro macrumors regular

I'm using an iMac to connect to a G5 using the standard Screen Sharing option (Ethernet). It's a little bit sluggish, but lets me use everything from one mouse/keyboard and monitor and using Lion in full screen mode, it's just looks exactly the same as if it was directly connected!