connect an rMBP to cable modem via USB?

jk73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
As I just mentioned in a different thread, I'm staying at my sister's place for a few months and she has a non-Wi-Fi cable modem.

The modem has both ethernet and USB ports. My rMBP doesn't have an ethernet port, so that option is out (unless I buy the Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter).

I tried connecting the modem directly to my rMBP via the USB port and it worked for about 2 minutes, but then the connection dropped. The same pattern repeated 3-4 times before I gave up.

I know ethernet is the standard means of connecting a cable modem. Does this sound like a compatibility problem with the rMBP and/or modem, or could it be an unstable internet connection? It seems odd that it works when first plugged in, but then dies out within 1-2 minutes afterward.

Thanks for all feedback.

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
if ur directly connected through USB, I recommend disabling WIFI just to be on the safe side.

jk73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
if ur directly connected through USB, I recommend disabling WIFI just to be on the safe side.
Yes, I had Wi-Fi disabled, but the USB connection only worked for 1-2 minutes each time. From Googling, I'm getting conflicting reports of whether a Motorola SURFBoard modem is Mac-compatible.

dmccloud

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Unfortunately, most USB connections are completely unreliable. I know the ISP I work for won't even support connecting via the USB because it's so unreliable. You can find a cheap router (under $40) that will work while you're staying at your sister's. I'd recommend that over using the USB connection.

noteple

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2011
If you are staying get her a refub Airport Extreme.

They can use the router connections on the back for their hardwired computer and you get WiFi.

And kick in for some food also. :cool:

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
As I just mentioned in a different thread, I'm staying at my sister's place for a few months and she has a non-Wi-Fi cable modem.

The modem has both ethernet and USB ports. My rMBP doesn't have an ethernet port, so that option is out (unless I buy the Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter).

I tried connecting the modem directly to my rMBP via the USB port and it worked for about 2 minutes, but then the connection dropped. The same pattern repeated 3-4 times before I gave up.

I know ethernet is the standard means of connecting a cable modem. Does this sound like a compatibility problem with the rMBP and/or modem, or could it be an unstable internet connection? It seems odd that it works when first plugged in, but then dies out within 1-2 minutes afterward.

Thanks for all feedback.
The Ethernet adapter is $30. Spend another $10-$20 and get a good router for wifi.