Connect and use USB Scanner with iPad! w00t!

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by ermoore, Oct 26, 2010.

1. ermoore macrumors newbie

*edit* I am referring to a barcode scanner

Let me start by saying that I have only tried this with a couple USB scanners, but I think they are pretty much all standardized, so this should work for all of you.

When I first saw the Camera Connector kits for the iPad and noticed it had a USB port, I was excited about future USB support. Then I heard that USB keyboard will work with the connector kit. And since a USB scanner is basically a USB keyboard, I though for sure all I would have to do was plug it in and BOOM! Sadly, I was disappointed and wrong.

BUT! Thank goodness my iPad is jailbroken! I remember there being a jailbroken app called "re-supported" that allows old video and audio output devices to work on the new generation devices. I took a shot in the dark and paid the dollar or two for the app. To my surprise, the USB scanner now works!! You still get an error message when you plug it in saying "this device is not supported" but you can close the message and you are on your way!

So, in closing:
    Jailbroken iPad + "Resupported" + USB Scanner = Success!

Let me know if you guys have tried this or if it is helpful to you!

2. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

A USB scanner is basically a keyboard? Err

Do you mean some kind of OCR scanner pen?

To me a USB scanner is an image scanner

3. ermoore thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, to clarify - I am referring to a barcode scanner.

4. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

Oh I see, not sure what real use that is though?

A USB webcam working would be cool though!

5. ermoore thread starter macrumors newbie

Consider someone having to take inventory (which I do constantly) instead of having to use pen a paper to write things down, or instead of lugging my laptop around with my barcode scanner to punch in all my data, you can walk about your warehouse with your ipad and an over-the-counter usb barcode scanner and be on your way.

USB Webcam... hmmm.. maybe my next project.. :)

6. Rengoku macrumors newbie

What software do you use the usb scanner with, if you don't mind me asking? Is it a custom inventory tracking app?

7. ermoore thread starter macrumors newbie

Currently it is still in testing mode, but any application that allows data input would work. Excel, a database program, etc.

We actually have a SQL database that is running sharepoint and we make all our changes via http.

8. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Cool use case. Tablets are becoming more and more relevant in this area. As a retail software solution provider I look forward to this technology going fully mainstream.