Connect AW to public network servers

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Tetevo, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Tetevo macrumors member

Is there anyway to connect the AW to public networks that requires login?
    Any 3d party app?

2. chiefs1968 macrumors member

The answer right now is no, I live in central Florida and my cable/internet provider (bright house/spectrum) has wifi everywhere in the state of Florida on major streets for its subscribers. So when I leave my house I am basically connected to wifi on the major business streets everywhere I go with my Iphone 7 But unfortunately it can’t connect to public networks that require logins or subscription. In other words, it can’t configure network on its own. If apple can somehow "fix" this it would be a major plus for the AW and who cares about LTE.

3. Tetevo thread starter macrumors member

Lol what a dream to have free wifi everywhere, here in Brazil we're a little too much underdeveloped in relation to you. I wanted this feature mainly to connect to my gym wifi since it needs login, but it appear I'all have to wait a little while.

One more question, can the AW do everything it does with Bluetooth connection to the iPhone via wifi?

4. winterny macrumors 6502

Just as a FYI, you can configure your computer to spoof the mac address of your Apple Watch, and register on many public wifi systems, and then switch the mac address back to the burned in mac.

On a macbook, this will look something like:
    1) Disconnect your macbook from wifi by holding alt and clicking the wifi menuitem.
    2) sudo ifconfig en0 |grep ether
    ^- this will show your burned in mac address for your laptop, save this somewhere
    3) sudo ifconfig en0 ether [mac address from your apple watch, grab this from the 'watch-> general -> about -> Wi-Fi Address' on your paired iPhone
    4) Connect to the public wifi network, and use your web browser to register.
    5) Disconnect from the wifi network like in step 1
    6) sudo ifconfig en0 ether [use the mac address you learned from step 2]

I've done this at some hotels, and was able to roam around the whole hotel with my watch connecting to my phone over the wifi, as the phone was left in the room. Unfortunately, I haven't made it work with xfinitywifi yet, and I'm not sure why - but I suspect it's because I have the xfinity wifi profile on my iPhone which doesn't work with the apple watch wifi setup.

5. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Don't worry, we just elected Donald Trump. Soon we will be an underdeveloped nation too. :D

6. chiefs1968 macrumors member

I am not worried because he knows more than the generals about Isis....so I am optimistic

7. Tetevo thread starter macrumors member

LOL

8. macdragonfl, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016

macdragonfl macrumors 6502

macdragonfl

My provider Xfinity automatically connects to their public wi-fi when it can and so does my watch without my iPhone, I did nothing but enter the credentials on the iPhone. I did a quick trip to 7/11 and did not have phone and received a text and was able to reply to the text. I checked it and had the cloud symbol. Also when walking my dogs I get connected without phone. I spoke with another friend in my area who also has Xfinity and has had the same experience. It does disconnect then reconnect depending on the signal. So it is not as consistent as the iPhone.

9. dschulian macrumors regular

dschulian

You don't need your computer to get your MAC address. You can use your settings app on your watch or the watch app on your phone (under settings > info)

10. chiefs1968 macrumors member

Anyone have brightouse? Works just like Xfinity by entering credentials but just will not work with my apple watch....sucks

11. winterny macrumors 6502

I think you completely misunderstood my post.

I was explaining how you can use a computer to register an apple watch onto a wifi network with a captive portal.

12. Yames2000 macrumors newbie

Yames2000

Bump. Thanks so much for these instructions - they worked perfectly for me. Just used this method to connect my Apple Watch to xfinitywifi, and confirmed a working connection by successfully sending a text from my watch with my iPhone turned off.

This will be very useful for me as I can now leave my phone at home while going on runs but still stay connected through my Apple Watch. Here in Charleston xfinitywifi has very robust coverage and a signal is accessible even from the sidewalk of most streets. Who needs a cellular Apple Watch when you have a city-wide wifi network? Thanks again!