Connect bookshelf speakers to existing 2.1 computer speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macuserx86, May 15, 2009.

1. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

This may or may not be a stupid proposition, but here it goes: I have a Klipsch Promedia GMX 2.1a speaker system which I like very much. However, I was wondering if I could replace the existing satellite speakers with bookshelf speakers (like Klipsch RB-10 s). I'm hoping this will work because I want to increase the audio output of my system without spending money on an amplifier.

Thanks, and I apologise in advance if this is stupid! ;)

2. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Assuming you still use the sub/amp you should be able to do this - however I'm not sure how much the sound quality will change.

As you may or may not know the 99.9% of 2.1 systems the amp is built into the sub that then powers the satellites.

3. macuserx86 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

Exactly, I want to use my 2.1 system as the amp to drive bookshelf speakers. So what you're saying is that it would work, but not particularly well?

4. Pili macrumors regular

It's doable in theory but the built in amp may not have enough power to properly drive larger/ more power hungry speakers. If you do look for extra bookshelves though, try to find ones that are more sensitive so they will take better advantage of what power the amp does put out.