Connect external hard drive to two computers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by flanamac, Apr 29, 2009.

1. flanamac macrumors 6502

I have an iMac and a Macbook Pro.

The MB Pro is connected to an OWC hard drive via eSATA.

I would like to connect the iMac to it as well via FW 400 since the hard drive has a FW 400 connection.

Will the iMac recognize it and can it write to it as well, regardless whether the Macbook Pro is on or not?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't have two computers simultaneously physically connected to an external hard drive. You can physically connect it to one, then access it via your network from the other Mac.

3. flanamac thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, but what happens if you do connect them both? Is there something in the CPU of each computer that which becomes conflicting and prevents accessing the data?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know, but it wouldn't be advisable to attempt it. Hopefully, the drive just wouldn't mount on the 2nd Mac. It's possible you could corrupt the data on the drive (best case) or physically damage the drive (worst case) by both Macs attempting to control the drive. The different connectors on a drive (eSata, Firewire, USB) are there to give you options as to how to connect to one computer. They're not intended to be methods of connecting to multiple computers simultaneously.