connect external hdd to time capsule and tv

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by leemarquis, Jul 11, 2012.

1. leemarquis macrumors newbie

My mackbook pro is filling up and i want to connect an external hdd to my time capsule that I use for back ups to extend wireless storage.

Can anyone recommend a quite external hdd that will connect to time capsule and allow me to access as an additional drive (around 2TB)

I also want to see if I can connect this drive to our LG TV (time capsule is next to tv and this is where the drive will be) which can accept a usb connection. But if the drive is connected to time capsule by usb will i be able to connect it to the TV by usb as well or would I need to disconnect from time capsule first each time and then connect back to time capsule to access drive again? Or would there be a way to connect tv to time capsule as well and access the drive that way?

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

It cannot be connected to both at the same time. Also, when you say you're looking to extend your wireless storage, do you mean adding to the total storage space of your Time Capsule? If so, that cannot be accomplished with the addition of a USB drive. It will appear as a separate drive and will not in fact make your Time Capsule's hard drive capacity larger.

Is your TV network enabled? If so, you might be able to purchase a NAS and connect it to your Time Capsule and be able to access it from both your computer and your TV simultaneously.