Connect files from my PC desktop to my MacBook Pro using ethernet router?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by oregon2, Jul 7, 2009.

1. oregon2 macrumors regular

I just got a MacBook Pro (bootcamped with Vista) and I want to transfer all my old files from my PC desktop onto my new MacBook. So far I have connected both computers to a router via ethernet and copied some files, but I have only figured out how to do this while the Mac is bootcamped into Vista. I have the computers hooked up correctly, but what do I do within Mac OS X in order to transfer files from my PC desktop straight to OS X. So far I have copied to Bootcamp Vista, then copied from that to my main OS X partition, but this is way slow. I want to copy directly to OS X.

Thanks!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

System Preferences -> Sharing -> Turn It On. You will also have to turn it on your PC, but it sounds like that is already done. When you open up a Finder window you should see the name of your PC under "Shared" on the left-hand side.

3. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

If you have a share on your PC it'll show up under Shared in the sidebar of Finder. You can move what you want to pull to your mac into that share or you can directly share any of the files' folders so you can see them.

4. oregon2 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, I did that and now the Mac shows up in the Vista network menu as "MAC0023DF8BBA64" and when I click it, I see a printer folder (empty) and that is all. Still no ability to write files....

And I do not see my computer showing up in OS X, so I don't know how to access files that way.

EDIT: the guide in the networking forum helped and I now have a shared folder from my PC showing up in OSX. This is pretty much all I need.