Connect headset to 2011 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Makaveli6103, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Makaveli6103 macrumors 6502

I have a headset with a mic and headphone jack. When I connect it to my iMac the headphones work but the mic does not. I changed input to Line In but still does not work.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You need a combo mike / headphone connector (2 bands). There might be a Y-adapter available.

OR

USB or Bluetooth headset.

3. Makaveli6103 thread starter macrumors 6502

So what is the point of the line in jack?

4. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

OK, I'm gonna have to bump this one.

I was amazed that the line in was not a mic input. I already have a nice mic and headset for my PC. I dont want to buy either a USB or a bluetooth mic. What adapter will I need to connect a normal mini-jack 3.5mm mic input to the 2011 iMac?

I want to play Diablo without my friends complaining about the ambient noise. Please link to the adapter so I can see what kind of connection it is. Regards.

5. kitsunestudios macrumors regular

Line in and Mic in are intended for different audio levels. You'll either need a pre-amplified microphone, an amplifier like this, the Griffin iMac (mic and line-in to USB) or a USB headset.

I use a Logitech usb headset on my system. Works great.

6. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

7. kitsunestudios macrumors regular

Hey, nifty! Nice price too. I don't see any reason why that shouldn't work. I have had lots of positive experiences with PC "only" USB devices working perfectly in MacOS X without drivers. You should be able to see that show up on your "Sound" control panel once you plug it all in

8. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

Nice. And for it working or not, this product actually have an "Apple" on its cover - so that means it works just fine with apple products? I mean, this is genuine? :p

Anyway, I'll report back on how the item works after the one month expected shipping from DealExtreme.

9. kitsunestudios macrumors regular

Heh, just noticed that. Looks like a bad case of KIRF (Keeping' it real fake). Still, looking forward to the results.

10. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

hehe, I know. A real big case of KIRF as well... Funny :)

11. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

I can confirm, about two weeks in mail and plug an play. It's show as a 'Generic USB mic' and is working ok. No complaits from people im chatting with. Havent tested the 7.1 virtual surround feature, although i doubt it's working as advertised. :) Mic ok and a good, cheap buy.