Connect iMac to MBP via FireWire

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by captivator, Apr 24, 2009.

1. captivator macrumors member

Hi all:

I've searched the forums but did not find much on the topic. I want to use ChronoSync to synchronize files between my iMac and MacBook Pro. I would like to accomplish this through FireWire, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I know about Target Mode, but I don't think this is what I want to do. I would like to be able to mount the iMac on the MBP and vice versa - can this be done? I have the FireWire cable all ready but I'm not sure what I need to configure to get them to "see" each other.

Thanks kindly for any and all of your help.

2. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Directly connect the two via ethernet, or a hub/router/switch.

Ensure that file sharing is turned on under sharing in system preferences

They should detect each other and you can mount their hard drives on each other that way too.

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Well first off you need a firewire (male) to firewire (male) cable, 6 pin if I remember correctly, then connect the 2 macs together using the cable, boot the one you want to take the data off, hold T as it boots, that puts it in firewire disc mode, whatever it's called, then sync :)

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i am fairly certain that you can fileshare by plugging in the firewire cable to both computers, then mapping them (i.e. going to the finder, hitting the menu "Go" -> "Connect to server" and type in the IP address of the other machine.

why not use ethernet? it will be MUCH easier, faster too.

5. captivator thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for your help. I did end up getting them connected but I soon learned that I am not able to synchronize the majority of what I had hoped to (i.e. Address Book contacts, Safari bookmarks and the iTunes library). Bummer! Again, thank you all for your help. :)