Connect iPad 4 to a 30" Apple Cinema Display

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cojo, Jan 10, 2016.

1. cojo macrumors newbie

I know...old equipment, but I'm hoping someone can help. I have a 30" Apple Cinema Display collecting dust in my basement. I'd like to connect it up to my (aging) 4th generation iPad. Anyone know if/how I can do this?

Thanks!!

2. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

look up airserver and see if thats what you need.

3. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

How about Lightning to HDMI using Apple's cable, and then HDMI to DVI?

I know the 30" Cinema Display uses dual-link DVI so that could be an issue - I'm guessing it won't accept a single-link signal and stretch it. HDMI to dual-link DVI does exist but the units are quite expensive.

4. cojo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! It's worth a try.

5. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

I'm curious - keep us updated with how it goes. I think it is worth trying a dumb single link adapter (available on Amazon for peanuts) and seeing if the concept will work, because the Lightning-to-HDMI adapter might not work well with a secondary video conversion since the adapter already performs some trickery:

"...the iDevice is actually sending an H.264-encoded image through the Lightning interface to the adapter, where a small ARM chip decodes that information and outputs it over HDMI."

6. cojo thread starter macrumors newbie

Happy to keep you posted. I've already ordered from Amazon and will know by the end of the week!

7. cojo thread starter macrumors newbie

For less than $4, I also thought I'd take a chance and order this one that says it's a 'DVI-D Dual Link'.

Attached Files:

8. cojo thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked with a single link adapter!!! Thank you so much for the suggestion!