Connect iphone to car, now there is an echo!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tman1425, Oct 1, 2010.

1. tman1425 macrumors member

I connected my iphone to my inifiniti via the headphone jack so I can play music and listen to calls through my car's speakers. I used this cable:
    [​IMG]

I can listen to music and phone calls fine. However, the person I am talking on the phone with hears an echo when they talk. I assume they are just hearing themselves from the car's speakers (which is weird because that doesn't happen on the normal speakerphone, so why should it be different coming through my car's speakers?). Does anyone have any ideas of how to get rid of the echo??? Thanks.

2. dpierre macrumors regular

I have the same issue. I believe it is because the iPhone thinks it's on headphones when it does that. The only solution that I have is to unplug the iPhone when I notice I am getting a call. :(

3. tman1425 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input. I've just been unplugging the phone as well. It's really too bad because it would work perfectly if there was no echo!

4. mchad macrumors member

Tell them to turn down their volume...or you turn down yours, that is often the reason for echoing

5. tman1425 thread starter macrumors member

If I turn down the volume I won't be able to hear the person I'm talking to...:confused:

6. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

Perhaps your phone mic is picking up the sound of the caller on your car speakers. Have you tried turning your radio volume down when talking on the phone? Either that or change the speaker balance to move the sound away from the phone mic.

7. tman1425 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the echo is because the other person is hearing themselves through my car speakers. But if I turn down the volume any more I wont be able to hear the caller. How come bluetooth setups in other cars, where it play through the car's speakers, don't have a problem with the caller hearing themselves?:confused: Just doesn't make sense to me since the only difference I can see is that my setup is wired instead of bluetooth. Does anyone have any input?

8. Who Cares? macrumors newbie

I have noticed this since I got the iPhone 4. My theory is that it has to do with the noise canceling mic by the headphone jack. Otherwise I don't really one either.

9. Who Cares? macrumors newbie

I have noticed this since I got the iPhone 4. My theory is that it has to do with the noise canceling mic by the headphone jack. Otherwise I don't really know either.

10. MrMinor macrumors 6502

This happened with my iPhone 2G and my iP4 as well. I am sure the echo would go away if I turned the volume down on my radio, but as the OP said then we could not hear the person on the other end.

I kind of like having the echo there as I can't stand long phone calls so it give the person on the other end incentive to make the call as short as possible. ;)