Connect iPhone to GPS via BT?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MatthewStorm, Dec 21, 2007.

1. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

Anyone had any luck connecting their iPhone to a GPS device to use as handsfree? I just got the Mio c720t and it's a no go. Any possible work arounds?

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Mine works perfectly with a Garmin Nuvi 680. Only SMS don't work.

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Really? My understanding was that the BT on the iPhone will (at this time) only pair with headsets.

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

That's obviously wrong.

5. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Really?

Really really?

Edit: And here is another discussion about the same topic.

If you'd like to read more just do a google search for 'iphone bluetooth gps' or something like that.

6. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

i got a 680 2 everything but texts works. I am getting the navigon 710 sometime this week and ill compare them.

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

if you would like to do more reading google iphone and garmin gps as well as cars built in handsfree. It pairs up with lots of them but not all.

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I just wanted to add a link to the GPSPassion forums where it was first discovered that the Garmin Nuvi 660 and 680 GPS units pair up to the iPhone:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=91045

As you can read in this thread I linked to, the iPhones functions such as the ability to make and take calls on the GPS screen, as well as view your contacts and select one and make a call from the list, all work on the GPS screen. The call will be nice and loud through the speaker on the GPS.

As I said above, it is incorrect that people think the iPhone will only pair up to headsets. It is obviously wrong because well, it pairs up to the Garmin GPS.

9. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

my brother also has a tom tom that pairs with the iphone you can take and make calls as well as transfer the phone book.

10. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I have a Garmin Nuvi 370, and it pairs up with the iPhone beautifully. It works great as a speaker phone, the caller ID comes up on the screen, and allows you to dial from the Garmin as well. I use it all the time.

11. calvy macrumors 65816

To clear up the confusion I'm sure a few other readers besides myself are facing, the bluetooth connection they are talking about here is only for using the GPS unit's built in speakerphone option. Not for making your iphone GPS capable, which is what I care about.

And yeah, I'm an idiot for not reading it in the OP's first sentence. But I bet I'm not the only one. Of course, those people probably won't read my post either :)

12. MatthewStorm thread starter macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

I opened a trouble ticket with Mio over this but have not heard back. But I do think this new Mio is way cool with the ability to take geocoded pix and navigate to them. Also 12,000,000 POI's is a LOT. Merry Christmas all.

13. chadrob30 macrumors 6502

chadrob30

I can verify that the iPhone will not work with the TomTom One LE. It recognizes it but says it doesn't have the right services. Rats. :rolleyes:

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Being able to look up those POI's on the GPS screen and then having a dial button next to that phone number is what it's all about. Going to another city and being able to look up and find a hotel and then dial that hotel right from the screen of the GPS without getting my iPhone out is technology at it's finest!

I was able to do all of that last September while vacationing in Vegas and California.

Good look with your GPS units and the iPhone.