connect iPod to Airport Express USB -> Sync?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kobekes, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Kobekes macrumors member

Hi,

I just bought my first Macbook and I love the portability of it inside my house. I run my Wi-Fi network with a Airport Express.

But wouldn't it be nice if it was possible to connect my iPod to the USB-port of the Airport Express (or Apple TV, Time Capsule, ...) and synchronise it trough the air with my MacBook? My iPod could stay at his dock above the stereo and I would never have to switch plugs.

I can imagine that syncing directly to an iPhone or iPod could implicit difficulties, but if you approach an iPod as a periphial, just like a hard drive or printer?
    So I understand the necessity to attach my iPod fysicly, but why does it have to be my Mac and couldn't it be another (Apple-branded) network utility?

That would be a nice firmware-update ;-)

Kobekes (my excuses for the bad grammar)
    Belgium

2. milk242 macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately Apple has limited the USB port on their wireless routers probably due to some technical limitation. You could get a network usb hub or look into wireless usb. I just hope Apple will allow the iphone to sync over the air via wifi in a future firmware release.

3. McGilli macrumors 6502

Ya it does not work. The iphone will charge off of the USB port - but it will not sync.... Tried it.