Connect Mac Pro & Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by halleleah, Aug 27, 2010.

1. halleleah macrumors newbie

Traveling light... Is it possible to connect a Macbook Pro to a Mac Pro and use the Macbook Pro keyboard/display/USB ports with the Mac Pro running the apps and doing the processing? :confused:

I'm hoping the MacBook Pro can be used as my external monitor and keyboard.

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

2. indiochano macrumors regular

why would you ever use a macbook pro as a monitor??????????????

3. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Hypothetically yes, but it would destroy the MBP's ability to be a computer

4. halleleah thread starter macrumors newbie

I definitely don't want to do that! :eek:

5. halleleah thread starter macrumors newbie

I need the Mac Pro for audio recording and was hoping to be able to use the MacBook Pro as the display instead of having to bring one on the trip. :)

6. halleleah thread starter macrumors newbie

I still need the MacBook Pro to function as a standalone when it's not connected to the Mac Pro so I don't think these will work. :( Thanks very much though!

7. advres Guest

advres

When you get to where you are going, go to walmart or some other big chain store, buy a monitor, use it and return it when you are done. I have had to do this to capture DV footage since I don't have a DV camera. Works like a charm!

8. Ryan P macrumors regular

One slightly different option some members may not be aware of, which I LOVE is Synergy.

It's a cross platform open source software, that has a new GUI interface for OS X. It lets you share a keyboard/mouse across computers, so that you can have a mouse roam from your windows box, to your MacBook, to your Macbook Pro and back. It can be a huge productivity boost. You can even do copy and paste across systems.

You need atleast 1 display for each system though....so probably not overly help to the OP..unless you can find a small LCD to tag along with you.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/synergykm/