connect mac to PC with firewire.. ? ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nadasive, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Nadasive macrumors 6502

Hi guys, I have some information that I wan't to transfer to my mac. I dont feel like ptting on dvd or putting on flash drive or putting on external drive because thats something i know how to do.

what I'm thinking about is getting a firewire cable and connecting my macbook pro into my pc.
    I have a 400 mbps cable. What do i have to do to make it work, does my macbook pro have to be off when its connected to the pc or does it have to be on??

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

im not sure but i think it needs to be 2 macs connected by firewire. its called target disk mode and you mac shows up as a hard drive on your other mac.

just transfer files over the network albeit its bit slow. you could connect an ethernet cable to both machines and transfer files but im not sure how to do this. someone else might be able to help you.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Apple does firewire IP. If you look at the network settings it'll run the network through FW.

But ethernet would likely be easiest network choice besides wireless, and the less likely to cause problems while still being a pain in the ass.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I tried and failed at this, and using ethernet, xp just did not want to network with the mac, at all :|

5. Nadasive thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, so what i'm going to do is move all the files to my sharing place on vista then connect mac on to ehternet cable that goes directly to PC or to the my router?
    I have a wireless G broadband router (linksys).