Connect Mac to Windows Network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ishel21, Jun 7, 2011.

1. ishel21 macrumors newbie

Hi, I am new here and I've just recently purchased a 2011 MBP 15" base model.

I used to own a Windows laptop which I can easily connect to our dormitory's network and share files with others. But now as a recent switcher, I can't connect my mac to the windows network in our dormitory. I've seen other threads like this but it doesn't work for me. Can someone help me? Thank you!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What is the architecture of your "Windows" network? Are you taking about a LAN with Windows machines on it, or some kind of network shared drive?

3. ishel21 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't quite get your question. But, in our dormitory, we used LAN and WiFi. Using both can connect to the dormitory's network before when I'm using Windows. Meaning, I can see all computer that is connected and I can view files like movies if it is set to public. But now as I've switched to Mac, I can't do that. Sorry if I can't explain very well.

EDIT: Windows users here can see us in the network, but Mac users here, like me, can't see those windows users.

4. ishel21 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just wanted to see all those computers that are connected to the same network, because I've read in other threads that you can just do the smb thing and then add the name of that specific computer but in my case since we are many in the dormitory I don't know the specific names of their computers.