Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sakabaro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015
Hey,

I am looking for way to connect my MacBook 12" to a Thunderbolt Display.

I don't seem to find any adapters. I've been looking for USB-C to Mini Display (none on amazon or apple) and, as I've already USB-C to HDMI, a HDMI male to Mini Display female. (none on amazon or apple).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
This is not possible – there have never been any USB to TB adaptors.

Flunkyturtle

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Hey,

I am looking for way to connect my MacBook 12" to a Thunderbolt Display.

I don't seem to find any adapters. I've been looking for USB-C to Mini Display (none on amazon or apple) and, as I've already USB-C to HDMI, a HDMI male to Mini Display female. (none on amazon or apple).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Not currently available, but i'd imagine they will release a way soon

Niarlatop

macrumors member
May 13, 2015
They will not, TB Display needs ThunderBolt, and the 2015 MacBook doesn't include it.

Last edited:

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Reactions: Niarlatop

mkelly

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2007
When this releases, it will do exactly what you want. I want this too.

http://www.nonda.co/products/usb-c-hub-for-apple-new-macbook-12-plus

No, it will not actually do what you want.

Thunderbolt is essentially a PCI-e bus, which carries a lot more information than just video/audio. The tricky part is that they used a Mini-Displayport form factor for the Thunderbolt plug, so it looks as though it would work.

You *can* plug a regular Mini-DisplayPort *display* into a Thunderbolt-equipped computer. The computer will recognize that the display is just mini-displayport and send only video/audio. But the reverse isn't true: you cannot plug a Thunderbolt monitor into a computer with a Mini Displayport. The video signal is sent via the PCIe bus, which doesn't exist on a plain old Mini Displayport connector.

Older Mac Mini owners have been trying to do this for years - the 2010 Mac Minis have Mini Displayports, not Thunderbolt ports ... and people keep trying to plug them into Thunderbolt displays and end up being disappointed.

You would have to create an adapter that *generates* a PCIe bus... and that wouldn't be cheap. There are a number of USB->Thunderbolt adapters out there but they work in the opposite direction - they allow you to add extra USB ports via the Thunderbolt port.

Last edited:

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
Once Macbooks have USB type-c connectors that support Thunderbolt 3 protocol, then yes, you'll be able to use an adapter. But that's not going to happen any time soon.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA

Thunderbolt is essentially a PCI-e bus, which carries a lot more information than just video/audio. The tricky part is that they used a Mini-Displayport form factor for the Thunderbolt plug, so it looks as though it would work.

You *can* plug a regular Mini-DisplayPort *display* into a Thunderbolt-equipped computer. The computer will recognize that the display is just mini-displayport and send only video/audio. But the reverse isn't true: you cannot plug a Thunderbolt monitor into a computer with a Mini Displayport. The video signal is sent via the PCIe bus, which doesn't exist on a plain old Mini Displayport connector.

Older Mac Mini owners have been trying to do this for years - the 2012 Mac Minis have Mini Displayports, not Thunderbolt ports ... and people keep trying to plug them into Thunderbolt displays and end up being disappointed.

You would have to create an adapter that *generates* a PCIe bus... and that wouldn't be cheap. There are a number of USB->Thunderbolt adapters out there but they work in the opposite direction - they allow you to add extra USB ports via the Thunderbolt port.
You are correct on everything except the 2012 Mac Mini - it *does* have a thunderbolt port. I use mine connected to daisy-chained thunderbolt RAID arrays for external storage.

mkelly

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2007
You are correct on everything except the 2012 Mac Mini - it *does* have a thunderbolt port. I use mine connected to daisy-chained thunderbolt RAID arrays for external storage.

Absolutely correct. Slip of the fingers when typing. I meant to say my 2010 Mac Mini. The 2012 Mini does indeed have Thunderbolt. Edited my original post accordingly.

(I have a 2012 rMBP too, which must be where my brain got the wrong year from ;-)

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

Older Mac Mini owners have been trying to do this for years - the 2010 Mac Minis have Mini Displayports, not Thunderbolt ports ... and people keep trying to plug them into Thunderbolt displays and end up being disappointed.

This is *exactly* what I'm afraid is going to happen when Thunderbolt devices using the usb-c cable start to come out...

sakabaro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015
Once Macbooks have USB type-c connectors that support Thunderbolt 3 protocol, then yes, you'll be able to use an adapter. But that's not going to happen any time soon.
Why not any time soon? Is there a technical limitation impeaching Apple to do USB-C to Thunderbolt?

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
USB-C is going to be the new Display Port connector for future iterations of Thunderbolt.
For now, until Intel's Skylake architecture finds it's way into Apple laptops, there's no USB-C fuelled Thunderbolt in sight.
This might happen by the end of the year, but don't hold your breath yet, as the rMB probably won't see an update until early next year.
Lenovo announced a Skylake and therefore TB 3 via USB-C capable laptop only today, but it's size is like a cruise ship to the rMB canoe ;)

wmchenry

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2015
#
Hi,

Can anyone confirm whether a HDMI to VGA adapter works with the Apple USB-C Digital Multiport Adapter? The one I recently purchased from Amazon is not working with my works VGA monitor, and I am trying to troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks in advance.

sakabaro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015
USB-C is going to be the new Display Port connector for future iterations of Thunderbolt.
For now, until Intel's Skylake architecture finds it's way into Apple laptops, there's no USB-C fuelled Thunderbolt in sight.
This might happen by the end of the year, but don't hold your breath yet, as the rMB probably won't see an update until early next year.
Lenovo announced a Skylake and therefore TB 3 via USB-C capable laptop only today, but it's size is like a cruise ship to the rMB canoe ;)
Does this mean that the current rMB won't be compatible with Thunderbolt, even if Apple release a USB-C -> Thunderbolt adapter? as rMB are not Skylake?

sakabaro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
Does this mean that the current rMB won't be compatible with Thunderbolt, even if Apple release a USB-C -> Thunderbolt adapter? as rMB are not Skylake?

No, the current rMB is only compatible with USB 3.1 Gen 1. specs, which do not include Thunderbolt functionality.
The next generation might, but at that time we'll probably finally see an update to the Apple Thunderbolt Display too, with a USB-C connector to boot maybe.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Just because Thunderbolt 3 now uses USB-C cabling and connectors does not make every machine that uses it suddenly Thunderbolt 3 capable. Thunderbolt is a separate chip. If the machine doesn't have that chip it won't do Thunderbolt at all. If you want to be able to use Thunderbolt devices then you need to have a computer that supports Thunderbolt. The current (and previous) MacBook does not have Thunderbolt and thus will never ever be able to support Thunderbolt devices. Period.

What might happen is that a new MacBook version will come out that will have Thunderbolt 3 and thus support USB3.1 Gen 1 (aka USB3.0), Gen 2 and Thunderbolt 3. Apple may also decide that the MacBook stays the way it is now, thus without Thunderbolt. Considering that it uses a small circuitboard and Thunderbolt being another chip that needs to be fitted onto that board I doubt Apple will equip it with Thunderbolt 3. Maybe the use of 3D NAND for the memory might create enough space for it to happen. Wishful thinking :)

sakabaro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015
Ha, thanks dyn! That makes sense.

From an PR point of view, that's a bit weird that's not already part of the MB. I mean you would expect the lastest Apple display to work with the latest MB. Specially, I feel they were selling the Thunderbolt as a kind of hub display that matches the MB use cases.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Back in the day we had the iBook and the Powerbook. With the switch to Intel CPUs that became the MacBook and the MacBook Pro. The iBook/MacBook was the cheaper plastic version for the ordinary consumer while the Powerbook/MacBook Pro was the version for professionals and anybody requiring computing power and such.

Could be that they are returning to that difference and if they do it won't make sense putting Thunderbolt in such a machine. Thunderbolt is for high end use and thus for the MacBook Pro line. I'm hoping that Apple will replace the MacBook Air line with the MacBook and put Thunderbolt in the MacBook. That would make a really cool little and portable device. Especially since Thunderbolt 3 also gives us official support for external GPUs.

Btw, the Thunderbolt Display is meant to be a dockingstation for all their notebooks and made sense back then. I'm not sure if that still applies since a lot of people don't use things like external displays and such with their notebooks. In businesses you do see this. Use cases change over time. For consumers USB dockingstations are enough and these just got better with USB3.1 Gen 2 and USB-C (1 connector to connect everything and charge the notebook). I doubt Apple will go the cheap route, they'll probably leave USB docks to others.

Last edited:

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
Just because Thunderbolt 3 now uses USB-C cabling and connectors does not make every machine that uses it suddenly Thunderbolt 3 capable. Thunderbolt is a separate chip. If the machine doesn't have that chip it won't do Thunderbolt at all. If you want to be able to use Thunderbolt devices then you need to have a computer that supports Thunderbolt. The current (and previous) MacBook does not have Thunderbolt and thus will never ever be able to support Thunderbolt devices. Period.

What might happen is that a new MacBook version will come out that will have Thunderbolt 3 and thus support USB3.1 Gen 1 (aka USB3.0), Gen 2 and Thunderbolt 3. Apple may also decide that the MacBook stays the way it is now, thus without Thunderbolt. Considering that it uses a small circuitboard and Thunderbolt being another chip that needs to be fitted onto that board I doubt Apple will equip it with Thunderbolt 3. Maybe the use of 3D NAND for the memory might create enough space for it to happen. Wishful thinking :)

I am well aware that TB functionality is controller dependent, you didn't bother to read my entire exchange with the OP, and quoted me out of context.

TB 3 doesn't use USB-C for anything at present, since the functionality over this port hasn't yet been implemented in readily available devices, just announced, to be implemented by the year's end and Q 1 2016.

The OP asked whether you could use the USB-C connector retroactively for TB devices, to which I replied negatively.

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
Back in the day we had the iBook and the Powerbook. With the switch to Intel CPUs that became the MacBook and the MacBook Pro. The iBook/MacBook was the cheaper plastic version for the ordinary consumer while the Powerbook/MacBook Pro was the version for professionals and anybody requiring computing power and such.

Could be that they are returning to that difference and if they do it won't make sense putting Thunderbolt in such a machine. Thunderbolt is for high end use and thus for the MacBook Pro line. I'm hoping that Apple will replace the MacBook Air line with the MacBook and put Thunderbolt in the MacBook. That would make a really cool little and portable device. Especially since Thunderbolt 3 also gives us official support for eternal GPUs.

Btw, the Thunderbolt Display is meant to be a dockingstation for all their notebooks and made sense back then. I'm not sure if that still applies since a lot of people don't use things like external displays and such with their notebooks. In businesses you do see this. Use cases change over time.

Do you see Apple officially support external GPUs? Fat chance. Some tedious workarounds maybe.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
I am well aware that TB functionality is controller dependent, you didn't bother to read my entire exchange with the OP, and quoted me out of context.
You were not quoted out of context as the entire reply was quoted. If you think it is out of context then it is your own reply lacking said context ;)

TB 3 doesn't use USB-C for anything at present, since the functionality over this port hasn't yet been implemented in readily available devices, just announced, to be implemented by the year's end and Q 1 2016.
The wording here is completely out of place. Thunderbolt 1 and 2 that are currently out use a connector that is compatible with the mini-DisplayPort connector. Thunderbolt 3 moved away from that. At first they were going with a flatter mini-DisplayPort version that they were already using but eventually they opted to go with USB-C instead. The only port Thunderbolt 3 will be using is USB-C. Since Thunderbolt 3 hasn't been released yet you can't use it at present.

The OP asked whether you could use the USB-C connector retroactively for TB devices, to which I replied negatively.
What you replied here was in the lines of "yes, the MacBook will be able to use Thunderbolt because it uses the same connector". The problem here is your lack of writing skills. Your posts are confusing and not cohesive at all. It's all over the place. Start practicing your writing skills and proofreading your posts as this will prevent confusion.

Do you see Apple officially support external GPUs? Fat chance. Some tedious workarounds maybe.
The moment Apple starts using Thunderbolt 3 will be the moment they officially support external GPUs because Intel supports it and made it part of Thunderbolt 3. It's in the protocol and if Apple changes it, it may no longer be called Thunderbolt. Now if you actually understood what Thunderbolt is you'd have known that it is actually just PCIe plus some extras. That means that we have the same situation as with the old Mac Pro, maybe even better. Non-Apple GPUs aren't a problem. So technically it'll work because it is supported. Previously it wasn't Apple that was the problem but Thunderbolt and that has been fixed as of Thunderbolt 3.

Will Apple come out with an external GPU themselves? Highly unlikely. Take a good look at how they do accessories...nearly nothing. What Apple does is leave it up to 3rd parties so it is the other way around: 3rd parties will have to support OS X. Guess what...they already do with the current Thunderbolt and USB offerings. Nvidia has a GPU for the Mac Pro and they also provide the drivers. With Thunderbolt 3 supporting external GPUs I think there will be more demand for it. Btw, there are more things you can do with GPUs, parallel calculations for example. And believe me, there will be solutions like that because Apple isn't the only one using Thunderbolt.

Btw, it is also incorrect to think that Thunderbolt 3 is in Skylake or that it requires Skylake. It's not part of Skylake nor does it require it. Both are the newest tech out there and simply teamed together because it makes sense to do so (Thunderbolt 3 has too much new stuff going on and has to compete with USB3.1 in some ways thus this teaming is necessary). What this means is that Thunderbolt 3 can also be used an previous generations and newer generations. It also means that just because the machine has Skylake it doesn't mean it also comes with Thunderbolt (MacBook with Skylake but without Thunderbolt).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.