Connect MacBook Air to HDTV

mgpg89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Belgium
I have a 3-month-old MBA that I'd like to connect to my HDTV ... Which cable do I need?

Thunderbolt to HDMI? Is that an option? And if so, which manufacturer/model is reliable?

Thanks in advance.

Rorlow

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2011
Detroit, MI
Same MBA here, its about 6 weeks old, I got the Moshi mini display to HDMI convertor sold online in the apple store, was about $30 and picked up the HDMI cable in the apple store for about $20. Mini display/Thunderbolt connector listed as same config on this year MBA.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Same MBA here, its about 6 weeks old, I got the Moshi mini display to HDMI convertor sold online in the apple store, was about $30 and picked up the HDMI cable in the apple store for about $20. Mini display/Thunderbolt connector listed as same config on this year MBA.
Wow, they must have seen you coming from a mile away lol

OP, check out Monoprice.com:

Thunderbolt (MDP) to HDMI adapter for $6.65: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2

Or, check out Amazon.com:

The same adapter above, but not branded, for $4.00:
http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-F...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1338503805&sr=1-1

Thunderbolt (MDP) to HDMI 6ft wire for $6.45:
http://www.amazon.com/Mini-DisplayP...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1338503805&sr=1-2

I have the Monoprice adapter and the 6ft wire from Amazon, both work flawlessly and are obviously very cheap.

EDIT - If you don't go with the wire listed above and only go for the adapter, and don't have an HDMI cable, also check out Monoprice (6ft - $3.50: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102…) or Amazon (6ft - $1.60: http://www.amazon.com/DVI-Gear-HDMI...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1338503974&sr=1-1)

btdpi007

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
North Carolina
Based on the fact you clearly stated you wanted a cable this probably won't answer your question, but figured I throw it out there. If you have an AppleTV you can Airplay, using Air Parrot, your MBA display to your HDTV. I use a 2010 MBA 11" and it's pretty incredible how well this option works.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
Is it better to use a mini-DP to HDMI cable only, or the mini-DP adapter for HDMI? From the respective reviews of cable and adapter, they both work. I just don't know why you would need an adapter when a cable seems to do just fine.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Is it better to use a mini-DP to HDMI cable only, or the mini-DP adapter for HDMI? From the respective reviews of cable and adapter, they both work. I just don't know why you would need an adapter when a cable seems to do just fine.
I carry a thunderbolt-to-hdmi adapter and an hdmi cable in my backpack, mainly because I also have an iPhone/iPad digital a.v. adapter, so the hdmi cable can be utilized in both scenarios :)

But I agree, no reason to not go cable unless you're in a similar situation as mine or if you present a lot at places that provide their own hdmi cables (that could be hooked up to projectors for example).

oneMadRssn

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2011
New England
I have a 15 foot HDMI cable that I snaked neatly around the room from behind the TV to behind the couch so I can plug in my laptop easily without a mess.

I figured, a 15' HDMI cable will come in handy for years, even after I no longer have this mac or apple changes their display output connector again (they seem to do that every few years). Also, if a friend comes over with their PC laptop that has HDMI out, or I get a phone with micro-hdmi out.

In all those scenarios above, the miniDP-HDMI cable would be much less useful. It's a neat and tidy solution for your MBA today, but it's limited to only this exact situation.

I'd go with the adapter + regular hdmi cable.

Last edited:

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
I carry a thunderbolt-to-hdmi adapter and an hdmi cable in my backpack, mainly because I also have an iPhone/iPad digital a.v. adapter, so the hdmi cable can be utilized in both scenarios :)

But I agree, no reason to not go cable unless you're in a similar situation as mine or if you present a lot at places that provide their own hdmi cables (that could be hooked up to projectors for example).
I have a 15 foot HDMI cable that I snaked neatly around the room from behind the TV to behind the couch so I can plug in my laptop easily without a mess.

I figured, a 15' HDMI cable will come in handy for years, even after I no longer have this mac or apple changes their display output connector again (they seem to do that every few years). Also, if a friend comes over with their PC laptop that has HDMI out, or I get a phone with micro-hdmi out.

In all those scenarios above, the miniDP-HDMI cable would be much less useful. It's a neat and tidy solution for your MBA today, but it's limited to only this exact situation.

I'd go with the adapter + regular hdmi cable.
For those scenarios, that does make sense. Thanks for sharing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.