Connect MacBook Air to Hitachi HDTV

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by biggleas, Sep 10, 2011.

1. biggleas, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

biggleas macrumors newbie

Hi all, I'm a longtime reader of macrumors and now a first-time poster. I've searched high and low for an answer to my question, but have come away more confused than before.

I am trying to connect my new MacBook Air to a Hitachi 57F500A HDTV. I have a mini-display to VGA converter and a VGA to Composite (YPbPr) as well as a VGA to DVI-HDTV. Unfortunately, neither of these works. With the DVI-HDTV I get nothing. With the Composite (YPbPr) I get a flickering, discolored, and scrolling version of my MBA screen. I have cycled through all resolutions that the Display Preferences Panel offers and have clicked Detect Displays more times than I can count.

My MBA is running Lion and the system profiler tells me the graphics card is: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB. Any help would be much appreciated!

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

3. biggleas, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

biggleas thread starter macrumors newbie

Oops

Sorry, I meant that I've tried into the TV's DVI-HDTV (it doesn't have a mini-DVI, but I've fixed that in my original post now), and I got nothing. Not even a flicker with any resolution.

----------

The TV has no HDMI input. It's an older model.

4. billy12 macrumors member

You need a miniDisplayPort to DVI adapter to get a digital signal on the TV. Does the TV have a VGA input? If so, have you tried using it with your miniDisplayPort to VGA adapter?

Using your miniDisplayPort to VGA and your VGA to DVI adapters together won't work, as I think the TV's DVI input is DVI-D (it only accepts a digital input).

BTW, YPbPr is component, not composite.