Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miguelPT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
I

I have a Macbook Pro 13 "(late 2009) with a screen that just stopped working.

In the technical assistance they told me that the problem would be the logic board or the display, any of them quite expensive to fix.

So, I bought an mini display port to HDMI adapter to connect to my TV until I buy a new laptop.

The problem is that it did not automatically detect the tv and as I cannot see the monitor, I cannot configure it.
Is there anyway for me to configure my laptop to show the screen on the TV just with the keyboard or by VoiceOver (not sure how that works)

thank you

bluespaceoddity

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
I'm assuming that you've used the TV remote to explore every possible channel where a computer connected like that would show on the screen.

VoiceOver can be enabled using ⌘ + fn + F5 key

Once enabled you can navigate to the System Preferences. There you can go to the Displays preference pane to hear if your Mac has detected the TV.

Will be hard to duplicate what you'll hear when you get there since I can't replicate your situation by connecting to a TV via HDMI (right now).

If you have or can borrow an other Mac you have a couple of options. With VoiceOver enabled you can navigate to SystemPreferences > Sharing to turn Screen Sharing on. You will then be able to operate the screen less Mac from the other mac.

Screen sharing can also be done from inside iChat or Messages so you could do this with someone you trust enough to poke around on your mac while chatting remotely after launching iChat/Messages using VoiceOver.

After enabling VoiceOver:
Move the mouse cursor all the way up and all the way to the left side of the screen then click the Mouse to open the Apple Menu in the Menu Bar. A Voice will tell you if you clicked in the right spot.

(If you have Show Displays / Show Mirroring Options when available" or something like that checked in Preferences you can also look for Displays in the Menu Bar and go to the Displays Preferences from that menu.)

Use the down arrow on the keyboard to move in the drop down menu to the item System Preferences. (VoiceOver will announce the other items you pass along the way ...)
Use the return key to open System Preferences
Use the Tab key to jump to the Displays button (VoiceOver will announce the other System Preferencs you pass)
Hit the Space bar to open the Displays preference pane
Use Tab to jump around and hopefully it will tell you that the TV has been detected in someway.

Or if you have another Mac:

Use the down arrow on the keyboard to move in the drop down menu to the item System Preferences. (VoiceOver will announce the other items you pass along the way ...)
Use the return key to open System Preferences
Use the Tab key to jump to the Sharing button (VoiceOver will announce the other System Preferencs you pass)
Hit the Space bar to open the Sharing preference pane
Use Tab to jump around and go to the Services Table
Use the Down Arrow to go down the list of services until you come to Screen Sharing
Hit the Space Bar to turn Screen Sharing on

Enabling and Using Speakable Items may also be an option if your OS supports it. That way you may be able to give spoken commands to your computer. No experience with that but there must be guides online.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.