connect MacBook Pro to TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Diego-Luna, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Diego-Luna macrumors newbie

Hi there all,

So Im trying to connect my macbook pro to my LG TV. Im am using a DVI into RGB input into the back of the tv, but the tv comes up black and says no signal, this has worked with other Mac's and I don't know why its not working with my MBP, so was wondering if anyone could help. Thanks

2. macmikey2 macrumors regular

macmikey2

You should be using either DVI or HDMI into TV, not RGB. That's just a bad choice compared to the other 2.

Get another adaptor that goes from MBP to TV using HDMI or DVI, depending on TV inputs and then setup Displays accordingly to either Mirror ( not a perfect choice) or separate and then the HD resolution you need.

3. Diego-Luna thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying

Im using a DVI-D to VGA converter which then goes into the RGB I know its not the best option but its all I got right now, shouldn't it still work though?

4. macmikey2 macrumors regular

macmikey2

Check your Display pref pane. Both displays should show a dialog window with the resolution it is set at and what each supports.

It sound like the LG is set to a resolution that is not compatible with the display.

If you cannot see the LG dialog window, click on Gather Windows in Pref pane and then check LG again.

Try different settings, or, check the LG manual for the resolutions it will support, and then set accordingly. Be sure to WAIT if the resolution is not working. If you click anything or Accept a bad resolution, it can be a pain to reset.

Yes, it 'should' work, but no guarantees as TVs are starting to only support HD and Digital connections, not RGB.

5. Diego-Luna thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much for your help, that sounds like it might be a resoultion problem.
    will definitely try to dig out the tv's manual, will let you know how it goes.
    Thank you

6. macmikey2 macrumors regular

macmikey2

Good luck.

And try to invest in another adaptor. Way worth it, especially if you are going to view TV/Movies on LG from Mac.

Mikey

7. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

HDMI.

I use VGA for my small monitor in my room but for my basement with my 30inch TV I'm getting an HDMI adapter...I have allot of HD videos so I would like to see them put on to a good monitor.

8. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Just to point out, you are converty DVI-D (digital) to analogue VGA and then to RGB. I don't fully understand the RGB side of things, but that is an awfull lot of converters.