Connect Macbook Pro to two monitors?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mason.smith1975, Jun 13, 2013.

1. mason.smith1975, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013

mason.smith1975 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I want to connect my MacbookPro (Mid 2009) to two Dell monitors and close the lid of MacbookPro and use one monitor as main display and the other one as extend display. I've been looking around on the internet but couldn't find the answer. If you guys can help me with this, I appreciate it a lot. Thank you very much.

Update: I found this but I'm not sure if it works and preserves the image quality.
    [​IMG]

2. dtexan macrumors newbie

Might want to list how old your Macbook is because that will help people understand what type of connection to use.

3. mason.smith1975 thread starter macrumors member

I updated the post. It's Macbook Pro 13" Mid 2009

4. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Both mid 2009 13" and 15" have mini-display port. It depends now on what are the available connectors in your dell display. You could get a mini-display cable adapter to VGA, DVI, mini-display, display, HDMI, or Thunderbolt...

5. mason.smith1975 thread starter macrumors member

My question is how to connect to TWO monitors?

6. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Oups, I didn't have my glass... :D

I am not sure but if you have only one mini-display output port, then your gpu supports only one external display. I don't think you could connect to 2 monitors, and even if you split the signal into two cables, then the 2 displays would be mirrored...

My 2cents

7. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Use an Apple TV and air mirror the display to the second monitor?

Or wait for Mavericks which gives you the Apple TV as a second external monitor separate from the inbuilt display.

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think the cable you posted would display the same image on both displays.

You probably need one of Matrox's adapters:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/digital_me/

The other option would be to plug in one monitor via the mini-displayport and get a USB video adapter for the second monitor. The performance on USB adapters is usually not very good (fine for spreadsheets etc. but not for high res video) and you have to make sure you find one that has Mac drivers.

9. pnyc macrumors 6502

I use to run tow displays from my 2009 MacBook Pro, one connected via the mini-display port and the other via a EVGA USB graphic adapter, older version of this http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=100-U3-UV39-KR

In the end the performance of the UGA was not good enough for me.

10. mason.smith1975 thread starter macrumors member

The Matrox's adapter probably is the best one at this time. However, it's almost $200 :(