Connect Macbook to New Samsung TV

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by brittanycamp, Nov 15, 2008.

1. brittanycamp macrumors newbie

I want to connect my macbook to my year old Samsung HDTV television. It has all sorts of inputs on the back including hdmi. I don't know anything about the technology or supplies needed but I want to watch movies and possibly browse the internet on on my television from my computer. Can anyone explain to me what I need to buy for this?
    Thank you! :)

2. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

You will need a display port to HDMI adaptor, not sure if they are even out yet. I was thinking I need to get one of those too.

Edit: Just checked the store the adaptors they have are for VGA or DVI. Does your Samsung have on of those?

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Don't do the VGA adapter, it will NOT work (assuming you have the aluminum Macbook).

Get the mini-display port --->DVI. If you're TV has a DVI in then you're set. If not, then get a DVI-->HDMI cable. They're $24 or so for a 6' one at the Apple store, and available cheaper elsewhere no doubt.

Even if VGA worked, a lot of Samsungs are limited to 1366x768 input over VGA, whereas you can output 1080i over the DVI/HDMI setup.

4. brittanycamp thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so I have two of these inputs in the back. One says "HDMI1/DVI1" the other right next to it says "HDMI2" and looks exactly the same. Is this also going to be a DVI input? there are also these two other round inputs that say "DVI AUDIO" one is left one is right. If I get a mini display port DVI will that go directly from my computer to the television? And will that also take care of the audio?

Thanks guys!! :)

EDIT: also, just to add, I have the super basic white macbook

5. manuel.mx macrumors member

If you have one of the white macbooks, then you will need the mini-dvi to DVI adapter attached to your macbook, and then plug a DVI-DVI cable from the adapter to your TV.

It migth be worth tweaking, to open the Display Preferences, and choose a color calibration for the TV, and find one that you think looks better, this way you can have better looking colors in your TV.

Good Luck

6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

No, the TV only has two HDMI ports. The cables required are:

Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter (only available from Apple)
    DVI -> HDMI cable (if you are paying more than $10 for this then you are paying too much)

And you will need a separate cable for audio a 3.5mm "straight through" cable or whatever they are referred to these days.

7. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

I always thought the two-ended audio cable was referred to as 'crossover', but I may be wrong. Also, it is likely that instead of a 3.5mm to 3.5mm 'straight through'/'crossover' audio cable you will need a 3.5mm to RCA (the red and white audio component jacks) cable, which will plug into the audio input of the television.

8. Pinkiy macrumors regular

Pinkiy

i once did this with my samsung tv div to hdmi and the resolution just wouldn't match up annoyingly

9. manuel.mx macrumors member

In some post by the thread starter it says a port says HDMI1/DVI1 so assumed it had a DVI.

Anyways, HDMI will work too.

And also to note, getting those cables for less than 10 doesnt happen in retail stores at all, such prices are available in ebay, not in walmart, bestbuy, or apple store, there those cables are $30+

10. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

No, if the TV has an HDMI port that is labelled as DVI then it likely already has a 3.5mm socket beside it. Every TV I've owned with DVI or HDMI has had one.

11. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I had trouble with resolutions, too. Well, the resolution was correct, but the picture was interlaced. Looked rather bad. But I found a way to have it display correctly. See my thread on this related subject.

12. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

I stand corrected. I forgot that the 3.5mil jack on ours was busted so we use the component feed instead.

13. brittanycamp thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so far from my understanding i need these:

[x] Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter
    [x] DVI -> HDMI cable
    [x] 3.5mm-> RCA

Right?
    And for audio I want to set the TV as the main screen in order not to experience audio lag?

14. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

If you have a good receiver, you might not go for an analog RCA audio cable, but for a digital optical cable with an adapter from 'normal optical' to 'minijack optical'. That way, you have digital sound. If you use your MacBook as a DVD-player or mobile Apple TV, then you can get the original, digital 5.1 audio to your receiver.

15. cewilson713 macrumors newbie

all this sounds fine and dandy but how are you supposed to plug the mini-dvi to dvi adapter into the dvi-hdmi cable? according to the pictures, they're both shaped to plug into something, neither is shaped to be plugged into.

16. sal macrumors 6502

did a search on google and I was unable to find this adapter that went from normal optical to "minijack" optical.

closest thing I found was toslink. is that the same thing?

also tried searching for a 3.5mm plug(male) to optical adapter(female) to plug into my laptop and then plug an optical cable to connect to receiver but was not successful. I did find a 3.5mm(female) to optical(male) but that doesn't help.

17. pkcampbell macrumors newbie

I'm a having an odd problem with a similar setup

I just purchased a DVI to HDMI cable to connect my Original Macbook Pro to my year old Samsung TV. When everything is connected the only thing that happens is the photo from my desktop is displayed on the TV monitor without anything else from my desktop and I am unable to control anything on the TV screen. My Mac doesn't stop working. The same thing happens to both mine and my wife's macbook. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time.

--Paul

18. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

That just means you're in extended desktop mode (The TV acts as a second screen instead of duplicating your monitor). In your display preferences change it to display mirroring.

19. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

This little adapter can be clicked on one end of an optical cable (optical and toslink are indeed one and the same, by the way). You can also get a single cable that goes from a regular optical connector to an optical mini plug, though.

20. eclipseb1 macrumors newbie

Macbook to Samsung

I had the same problems for about an hour as everybody else /mini dvi-dvi-hdmi/ so I just said forget it!! Call Samsung costumer service for help! 1-888-987-4357 and the lady was very nice. She asked me Did I push the 'Source' button on the remote control to get to HDMI2 Channel:rolleyes: uhhh nope! and there it was! popped right up! ;) lol Hey listen we are all not techy geniuses!

21. Kaviar macrumors member

Kaviar

Mini DP to HDMI
    http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=HDMINIDP-HDMI&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf

and......
    Mini DP to HDMI with audio!
    http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=HDMI-MINIDPUSB&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf

I've got one of each on order and will be testing them with my 2010 13" MBP later this week :)

The place I have it on ordered adaptor with audio from have only just added it to there product list.
    I've paid a less than they are currently advertised on Google for. I'll post a link when it appearers on there site.

22. macmattmacmatt macrumors newbie

Mini DisplayPort Plus USB Audio to HDMI Converter

What is the advantage of the Mini DisplayPort Plus USB Audio to HDMI Converter over a DVI-HDMI + audio connection option?

Rumor is that Apple is unveling a new $100 version of Apple TV next month anyway. Everyone says that's the best option, but I've always balked at the £200 price tag. If they do indeed come out with a cheaper version then I'm going for it.

23. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn