Connect Macbook to TV

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by icebox212, Jun 26, 2012.

1. icebox212 macrumors newbie

icebox212

Hey, I know there are a lot of posts questioning how to connect their macbook to their TV. My problem is that I haven't found someone with the same problem/ set up as me.

My Profile pic has my specs and model of Macbook. I am trying to connect the mini-Display port to VGA ->VGA to RCA (red/white/yellow)-> the TV.

When I plug in the mini-Display my Macbook flashes blue and nothing else happens on my TV. Nothing happens when I click "Detect Displays". My TV is really old. It is a Magnavox STAR; it's basically a giant, wood framed TV, and it only has 3 settings: Antenne, AUX (which is what works whenever I attach anything else to the RWY ports), and S-Video.

I hope I have given you enough information, any help would be appreciated.

2. berone macrumors member

You have a purely analog television, so it's not sending a signal that the computer will recognize. So forget about display detection. You're going to have to be sending an analog signal for the television to display it. So from the VGA cable you would need something like this: http://www.amazon.com/PC-To-TV-Video-Converter/dp/B001CJOLBW/ref=pd_cp_e_2 . I don't know that device, so I can't speak to how effective it is. The reviews seem mixed. I would normally direct you to monoprice.com, but I didn't see anything there that would do the job. But it would probably be worth a call to them to ask. The fewer cables and devices you can use to get there the better, so I would call and ask if they have something that will get you there without the VGA. Do bear in mind that it is not going to look good, no matter what you do. But you should be able to get it displayed.