Connect Mini and Macbook Air to thunderbolt display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by i0Nic, Aug 17, 2011.

1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Hi guys,

Is it possible to be able to connect both a Mini and a Macbook Air to a cinema display / thunderbolt display at the same time?

My use case would be having a mini connected to the display at all times, and then connecting the macbook when I get home at night switching the display so it shows the macbook display.

I wanted to add a Mini to my devices as I have a need to be able to run a computer when I'm not at home (as I usually take my laptop with me when I leave the house).

2. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

Is a 3rd party accessory really the only way? Even with the new thunderbolt port?

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Thunderbolt's daisy-chaining is for connecting more than one device to a single computer e.g. MBA <-> TB HDD <-> TB Display (one port that 'splits' as opposed to having more than one thunderbolt port per computer).

You could do this MBA <-> TB Display <-> Mac Mini, but then you're just connecting the Mac Mini to the MBA (e.g. for filesharing) and TB Display to MBA.

4. respectabilia macrumors regular

The iMac vs ATD question again...

Pertinent question. It's to do with that same ATD vs iMac question that's been bugging me.

My own idea was to stick a HDD into the ATD and use that for all the massive storage that I get immediate access to when I dock the MBA into the ATD.

Do you really need a Mini? If so, might it not just be better to get an iMac and dock your MBA into it's screen when you want to (though I'm not sure why I'd do that if I had an iMac ready to go)...

5. AdrianK macrumors 68020

I was kind of thinking the same, unless the OP needs 8GB of RAM (or 16GB if you want to drop >$1k)/Quad Core i7/Radeon 6330M.

6. pommack macrumors newbie

Does that adapter work whit thunderbolt display?I think that it doesent work.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I quote from the site:

8. stefmesman macrumors 6502

the snap x doesn't have thunderbolt cables. so it will not work on a thunderbolt display only on the older display. it does work on the 2011 mbp but only to an minidisplayport

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It would still work and here's why: Thunderbolt currently transfers data over copper cables. The SnapX is like an extension of the Tunderbolt cable, but instead of having the Thunderbolt firmware chip at the plug, its in the mid point of the cable. IE, its where the display plugs into the SnapX.

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No. Each TB cable has an active transceiver chip on it that compensates for signal loss from the cable itself. These are tuned to the cable and necessary for proper function. This will not work.

Edit: It'll work for mini-DisplayPort video only; it will not work to carry Thunderbolt data. Not for $69.

11. krburrell macrumors regular

I agree.

12. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Transferring 10Gbit/s per lane (TB currently offers up to 4 lanes) reliably over copper is very complicated and requires a lot of silicon circuitry. Just hooking a device in the middle to switch between inputs absolutely would not work. Mini displayport is not pin compatible, nor signal compatible with TB, even though they both use the same connector.