connect multiple monitors--issue

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by bradengelmann, Aug 12, 2012.

1. bradengelmann macrumors newbie

Hi folks; like many here monitoring the iMac rumors I am growing tired of waiting for a refresh so am considering a Mini. The one I'm looking at is this one:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac-mini-core-2-duo-2.4-mid-2010-specs.html

I want the optical drive.

Anyhow the issue is that the system it is replacing is an iMac G5 20" and I have a VGA cable running from my Samsung 46" TV to that machine. If I get the Mini, I'll need a regular computer monitor for computing purposes and then I'll want to connect the television as well. So I need to connect two monitors.

I've found solutions to connecting the Samsung television by HDMI which is actually preferable to the VGA but then as best I can tell the other output option for the second monitor is MiniDisplayPort-VGA. Except that the monitor I'm likely to get is going to be DVI.

The only posts I found sifting through Google results are for connecting the computer monitor by MiniDisplayPort (Thunderbolt) to VGA.

Will it work to just use a MiniDisplayPort-DVI adapter instead?

The above link suggests only MiniDisplayPort-VGA is supported. I don't know why that would be the case, so wondering what you folks think.

I really appreciate your feedback. Thanks also to the folks over on the iMac threads with the insight. I'm just really tired of waiting and I think this Mac Mini will be a nice machine at a far greater discount than a brand new iMac anyhow.

2. Mandrake! macrumors member

I've got a late 2009 Mac Mini 3,1 and I run a DVI display using a Mini Displayport to DVI adapter.

3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

You can get any minidisplayport to X adapter. HDMI, DVI, VGA. Any will work. monoprice.com. I use a mini-display to HDMI on my mini, but i've used a mini to DVI before.

4. bradengelmann thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks fellas. But do you know if I can do both--use the HDMI output for the television and the MiniDisplayPort-DVI for computer monitor?

I only wonder because at EveryMac they say:

"This model simultaneously supports 1920x1200 on an HDMI or a DVI display (using the included HDMI-to-DVI adapter) and 2560x1600 on a Mini DisplayPort display or a VGA display (with an optional Mini DisplayPort-to-VGA adapter)."

In other words, drive two monitors using HDMI (from HDMI port) and DVI (from MiniDisplayPort).

Thoughts?

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Yes. I regularly run two monitors both with HDMI at the same time. It would be no different than running HDMI with one and DVI with the other.