iPod touch connect my iPod to internet via USB, and turn it into a wifi hub?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by wohdin, Aug 29, 2012.

1. wohdin macrumors newbie

I want to connect my (jailbroken) iPod touch to the internet via USB to my Windows Vista PC, and then have my iPod become a wifi access point (NOT in Ad-Hoc mode).

Is this doable? I currently don't have a wireless network (beyond Connectify, which isn't working for what I need it for because Vista and Ad-Hoc) and this is pretty much my last resort. I'm familiar with various system mods for jailbroken devices but I've yet to find a combination that works this way.

2. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Mywi can do this although not sure if it supports iPod touch.

3. wohdin thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought Mywi only piped a 3G connection into a wifi broadcast...

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont think so.
    You cant get internet on your ipod touch by using the 30 pin USB plug. Its not for internet use.

5. wohdin thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, how about this then? Can my iPod both recieve and broadcast wifi signals simultaneously? Can I connect to my PC's "wifi" via Connectify in ad-hoc mode, and then have my iPod broadcast that connection as if it were an access point? It HAS to be in access point mode, I'm trying to connect my Wii and 3DS to this connection and those devices don't support ad-hoc connections.

6. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Sure it is. Stock iOS can do USB tethering, which sends internet over 30-pin. This is just in the opposite direction.

I've definitely done this using a 3GS. So it's possible with MyWi, the only thing not sure about is the the ipod touch part.

7. Applejuiced, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its possible for the iPhone to send via USB Internet to a computer but not the other way. Receive Internet over USB from a computers Ethernet connection.

How about getting a wireless router?
    Then you can connect your ipod touch, 3DS, computer and Wii.
    Makes sense?