Connect PC to control via Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by saberahul, Feb 8, 2013.

1. saberahul macrumors 68040

Any way for me to connect my windows laptop to my MBP through a cable and control my windows laptop through my MBP? I don't want to just transfer files but control the entire PC from my Mac. Looking for a simple cable solution rather than software such as Parallels or VNC or RDC.

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Google J5create they do some sort of cable ghat will do that I believe.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's TeamViewer, Logmein and gotomypc, all are good remote control applications.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I don't understand the question. Without software, it's just a hunk of metals right?

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You need some software. How else do you want to control the PC?
    Why not just use RDC? You seem to know what it is if you can name it. It is exactly what you need. As a cable I suggest wifi cables. ^^

6. saberahul thread starter macrumors 68040

You are all correct and I'm aware I can use programs like LMI, TV, etc. I essentially want to just control the laptop to the Mac and use the Mac's screen, keyboard, and mouse since it's so much easier and better. I thought something like this could be done via cable and built in drivers (something similar to a docking station is my purpose).

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

There is currently no such thing. Sounds like Borg nano- probes science fiction. :)

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Sound like you want to connect the screen, keyboard and camera to the PC motherboard and its CPU. Because the latter is faster I presume.
    That is physically impossible as you'd need a high bandwidth input for the screen which doesn't exist and the keyboard would have to go through so many hoops that it would really unresponsive.

RDC is what you can do. That is the extent of it. Nothing more.

Buy a display and a keyboard for the the PC.

9. theluggage macrumors 68030

If you can live with the PC using its own screen, then there's a bit of free software called Synergy that will let the PC share the Mac's trackpad/mouse and keyboard via the network. Once its set up its quite seamless - just mouse off one side of the Mac screen and onto the PC screen. It can even let you cut & paste between machines.

Not quite what you're looking for (which, as others have said, doesn't exist) but its incredibly useful when working on more than one computer.

10. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

Well, when you say "cable" I am assuming you mean network. There is no other mechanism unless there is some weird USB thing that I don't know about.

Team Viewer can run in "LAN" mode where you are not going out to the internet and back again to control the PC. I would guess that VNC is point to point as well.

R

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Laptop's "docking" for whatever reason I haven't seem those things since the 90s.

12. cire1244 macrumors regular

+1 on this. I think this is by far the easiest way to do it, completely free and wireless...

Get Remote Desktop Client from here http://www.microsoft.com/mac/remote-desktop-client

You'll need to allow remote access in windows (Control Panel/network prefs or something like that), then it should be as simple as typing in the Windows machine's IP address in RDC on your mac! The whole process should take about 5 minutes to set up.

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

RDC exists for the mac and works quite well.

14. Ccrew macrumors 68020

And if you have a lot of them to connect to use Cord:

http://cord.sourceforge.net/