Connect Retina Macbook to thunderbolt drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by M Chow, Apr 27, 2015.

1. M Chow macrumors newbie

As said in caption all my files and time machine back up are all in a Lacie thunderbolt drive. How does the new Retina Macbook connect it now?
    Seems not much info can be found to tell how to resolve this problem. Knowing Kanex has an Thunderbolt to USB adapter to sell but I doubt it works on Retina Macbook USB to Thunderbolt drive.
    I really look forward to getting the advice here.
    Best regards
    M Chow

2. melb00m macrumors regular

You can't. As mentioned quite a few times now, USB-C is not compatible with Thunderbolt.

3. chabig macrumors 68040

Your Lacie drive should have a USB port. Get yourself a USB cable and connect it with Apple's USB-C to USB adapter.

4. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I have the thunderbolt/USB3 Lacie rugged and I guess I'm just going to use the adapter with the USB3 cable which plugs into a normal USB port.

Mine came with both TB and USB cables.

5. themacuser macrumors newbie

As far as I know the Lacie Thunderbolt series all have USB 3.0 connection in them in addition to the thunderbolt connection.

6. M Chow thread starter macrumors newbie

I wish my lacie drive have both thunderbolt and USB.
    But it doesn't but Thunderbolt only.
    It was the first model when thunderbolt introduced.

I gues it left me no choice to buy a new drive then... in this case this Retina Macbook sure cost me a lot more than I expected....

7. M Chow thread starter macrumors newbie

I doubt the file and disk image wrote via thunderbolt connection will be recognised by USB connection. I don't have chance to try it. May be someone here can advise.
    I only have the experience when I wanted to use USB to access my firewire drive files in the old days. All files are not recognised

8. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I'm pretty sure the files are recognised regardless of the cable you use. I'll check when I get home. I mainly use TB since it's faster but I've used the USB-3 a few times in the past and don't remember having any issues.

9. chabig macrumors 68040

The type of connection makes no difference. Even in the old days FireWire versus USB didn't matter.