Connect Synolgy DS212j NAS directly to iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by malkekoen, Jun 16, 2012.

1. malkekoen macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Really hope you can help. Here we go:

Main problem: I can't connect to my DS212j. My router just gave up, and I have to transfer 300GB of stuff from my iMac to my DS212j within this weekend :(.

I've read something about it being possible to connect the DS212j directly to my iMac via the ethernet port, but I cant make it work. This is what I've tried:

- I can't remember my DS212j ip (but I think it was set for 10.0.0.3 - and since I cant connect to the DS212j, I can't check).
    - iMac has static ip 10.0.0.8, subnet 255.255.255.0.
    - Wifi is also enabled on my iMac (using my Android phone as modem right now). I've tried to turn off wifi to see, if that made a diffence, but no :(.
    - I've tried to make Synology Assistant to search for the DS212j, but doesn't show up.

What is it, I'm doing wrong? If someone could put me in the right direction, I'll send massive amounts of sunshine in yours!

Regards
    Malke

2. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

If you can't get it working, toto Walmart buy a router. Then return it after you're done.

3. malkekoen thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm afraid thats not an option here i Denmark :(...

4. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

If you don't have a switch and are having to connect them directly to each other, you may need a crossover cable instead of the regular pinout. I would ask you neighbors to borrow a small switch.

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Did you turn on the Mac's Internet Connection Sharing? For your setup, it'd be Share Wifi/Airport TO Ethernet. After this, did you try going to http://NAS_Name.local?

That should work regardless of what net address it's trying pull.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You don't need cross over cable the port auto sets its self.

7. Saimurai macrumors newbie

Worked!

By the way, this worked. Love my DS212! No one responded to this guy and i just tried it and all is well :) Thought the next guy like me reading this should know! I just saw it appear in the shared section of my sidebar in all my folders, though, i couldn't get the http://NAS_Name.local to work. And how do i get to log into the DSM of the NAS now?

8. NotMyCupOfTea macrumors newbie

I'm the next guy, thank you.

9. amigoccs macrumors newbie

Hi,

To connect your NAS to Mac directly on OS X 10.10 or later, follow these steps:

1. Launch [Sharing] in [System Preferences].
    2. Set [Share your connection from] to [Wi-Fi] which is the configuration name for 802.11n device.
    3. Set [To computer using] to [Ethernet] which is for Gigabit Ethernet device.
    4. Click on [Internet Sharing] to enable.

Then use vi to look for “OFFER sent + NAS host name” in /var/log/system.log to get the IP of NAS.

For QNAP devices, launch Qfinder before turning on NAS. It will show up in the list with IP address. If you turn on NAS before launching Qfinder , it won’t be able to find it.

For Synology devices, Synology Assistant won’t help.

Detail explain in Connect NAS to your Mac Directly with Ethernet.

Wish it helps!

Best regards,

Amigo