Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illusiumd

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2013
Bit of a noob here as far as networking. I need to upgrade my whole backup game after upgrading my hack tower to a studio. i’d like to get a synology disk station and hook it directly or via switch (10gb) to my studio while other devices back up to it via wireless. how would i do this? right now i just have a modem and a wireless router …

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
Synology offers two options for expansion cards: SFP+ and 10GBASE-T (RJ45). Probably the easiest way is to get a simple 10G switch (either RJ45, SFP+, or a mixture) and hook your RJ45 10GBASE-T from Mac Studio to the switch and connect the Synology to the switch. Your router doesn't need to be 10G capable so long as you aren't crossing VLANs. If within the same VLAN, the switch will handle all the traffic. If you go the SFP+ route, a simple DAC (direct attach copper) cable is all you need.

My 10G setup is a Synology RS1221+ with an E10G21-F2 expansion card that has 2 SFP+ ports. I connect both of these in a LAG (link aggregation) to a Ubiquiti UniFi Aggregation Pro Switch. The AggPro has a UACC-CM-RJ45-MG adapter made by Ubiquiti that converts SFP+ to RJ45 and sends 10GBASE-T to my Mac Studio over about 40m of CAT6a. Another one provides 10GBASE-T to my wife's MacBook Pro over about 25m of CAT6a. She is using a SonnetTech Thunderbolt 10GBASE-T adapter.

The link aggregation lets us both pull 10G separately. It won't allow you to pull 20G -- just 2 streams of 10G to separate connections. I have 8 8TB Synology HAT5300 drives in RAID10 array and get about 900-1000 MB/sec write speeds and 1000-1150 MB/sec read speeds.

I will say that 10G is pretty awesome. It can get expensive though. First, you'll need a Synology NAS that supports an expansion card to be able to expand to 10G since most of their devices (except really high-end) don't have 10G built in. Second, you'll need a switch to handle 10G.

Probably the cheapest option is this: https://www.amazon.com/MikroTik-CRS305-1G-4S-Gigabit-Ethernet-RouterOS/dp/B07LFKGP1L (I'm not getting any reimbursement by you ordering through that link). Getting an SFP+ to RJ45 adapter will allow you to hook up your Mac Studio. Your router can hook to the 1G RJ45 port. Again, as long as you aren't crossing VLANs doing interVLAN routing, then 10G can be handled by the switch and bypass the router.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
10Gb/s connections are pricier. You need to look at what kind of disks you will be using. Practically, if you have spinners you get close to full utilization with 1Gb/s and full with 2.5Gb/s.
I am using a DS1520+ with 5x16TB disk running SHR. It is upgraded to 20GB RAM for VMs and M2 cache to help random access. Access is using bonded dial 1Gb/s. I get about twice USB3 spinner disk speed. It is totally enough for TImeMachine and offline storage,

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
10Gb/s connections are pricier. You need to look at what kind of disks you will be using. Practically, if you have spinners you get close to full utilization with 1Gb/s and full with 2.5Gb/s.
I am using a DS1520+ with 5x16TB disk running SHR. It is upgraded to 20GB RAM for VMs and M2 cache to help random access. Access is using bonded dial 1Gb/s. I get about twice USB3 spinner disk speed. It is totally enough for TImeMachine and offline storage,
1G will give you at most about 125 MB/sec. With 10G and disks in RAID10, my RS1221+ is giving me 1000 MB/sec.

With the right disks (7200 rpm) in the right RAID format, you can get >125 MB/sec and can benefit from 10G.

Screenshot_2022-11-10_at_9.54.23_AM.png

Write speed was a little lower than usual (usually 900-1000 MB/sec) due to another device writing to the drive simultaneously.

Reactions: haralds

Mr Screech

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2018
Bit of a noob here as far as networking. I need to upgrade my whole backup game after upgrading my hack tower to a studio. i’d like to get a synology disk station and hook it directly or via switch (10gb) to my studio while other devices back up to it via wireless. how would i do this? right now i just have a modem and a wireless router …
Make sure the synology nas can be upgraded, because you'll most likely need to add a 10gbe pci-e card. Then all you need is a normal cat6 cable and you're set, a switch is not necessary.

If you need sustained 10gbs speed, you might want to add nvme cache. I have a 1218+ with 2 nvme drives and it happily writes and reads at 1GB/s. It will sustain 1GB/s on big files, if you have many smaller files it will slow down.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
1G will give you at most about 125 MB/sec. With 10G and disks in RAID10, my RS1221+ is giving me 1000 MB/sec.

With the right disks (7200 rpm) in the right RAID format, you can get >125 MB/sec and can benefit from 10G.
[...]

Write speed was a little lower than usual (usually 900-1000 MB/sec) due to another device writing to the drive simultaneously.
What disks and RAID were you using?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.